Home Assistant, Frigate and other add-ons in Docker in a Proxmox LXC or VM?

Should I put Docker in a Proxmox VM and Home Assistant in a Docker container or Docker in Ubuntu and HA in that or Docker in a Proxmox LXC and HA in a Docker container? Or maybe Docker on Ubuntu and forget about Proxmox. Choices, choices, choices. Every five minutes I’m changing my mind.

I want to setup HA, Frigate and some other things using, I think, Docker and started to follow a tutorial which had Frigate in a Docker container in a Proxmox LXC. I was going to put HA in another Docker container later and link the two but then I read that it isn’t recommended and I should have Docker in a Proxmox VM. This is a small home network so is a Proxmox container OK for Docker with HA/Frigate in a Docker containers?

Thanks for any pointers.

The most efficient way is to run HA in VM (i.e. HAOS) and Frigate in an LXC. You do not need Docker. Why add an extra layer of complexity into your system.

1 Like

You also run Mosquitto (MQTT) in a separate LXC.

1 Like

OK thanks. Is there no advantage to using Docker? How about USB pass through on a VM? I want to use a Coral Accelerator.

I have proxmox running on an HP elitedesk 800D2 GM, where home assistant is running as a VM. I also have Frigate, my unifi controller and tailgate running as LXC containers.

This is the guide I used for getting proxmox and HA set up

1 Like

This link is also helpful for USB pass through (I have a ZigBee stick, a Z wave stick, and a usb Coral for Frigate, all works great).

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a big help. I’ll want Frigate too and will probably use this tutorial.

edit: I was going to put Frigate, MQTT and Zigbee in a Docker containers but maybe I should stick with Proxmox LXC contaianers?

No probs, and I won’t call myself an expert at all in docker, proxmox etc, but can just say that I use a VM for HA, and LXC’s for everything else (Frigate, Unifi & Tailscale), and it’s been working flawlessly for about 6 months now (when I made the jump to a mini PC in the summer).

There might be some other small details, or another specific tutorial for setting up the Coral pass through that I’m forgetting, but just get in touch if you get stuck and I’ll try and help :slight_smile:

I’ve never tried this running any vm (I use it now and then at work), but I run my complete home server in docker on the latest debian and find it very easy to maintain and very flexible. I would definitely do it again. It was definitely a learning curve for me, but fun!

1 Like