Home Assistant Google Assistant Integration - "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection" Advice

Hey there! I just spent two days scouring this community and Google for fixes, ranging from adjusting Home Assistant google_assistant.yaml file format, creating a fresh install of Home Assistant, messing with Traefik settings, tweaking Google Actions settings, deleting Google Actions, recreating Google Actions, etc. while trying to find a solution to why I couldn’t get the Google Assistant “[Test]” app to sync up. I’ve tried checking logs and confirming everything else I could. Finally, I managed to realize that there had been a nice guide written by the “Smart Home Beginner” site that I had checked out while working on my conversion to Traefik v2 this past weekend: Cloudflare Settings for Traefik/Docker

I followed most of those recommendations and was pleased to think that I was protecting myself from China, and known bots, by clicking a few boxes… ultimately, I hadn’t realized that was the point that my link with all my Zigbee bulbs, garage door, and exposed switches had gone offline through the Google Home app… Ultimately, the quick solution is to simply disable the block of “Known Bots” that the guide recommended (screenshot below). Just wanted to help anyone out if they’re dealing with insane frustration in figuring out why they can’t link up their Home Assistant install with Google Assistant. Hopefully there are enough keywords in here that someone will stumble across this post and fix their broken setup.

PS If anyone has a good suggestion for how to block bots while allowing Google through, that’d be a nice comment! Thanks!

1 Like

I can’t say anything else but Thank You!!! I’ve been pulling my hair for 2 weeks and that was the missing piece. :upside_down_face:

Glad to have helped someone else out. Drove me nuts too!