Home Assistant gui Freeze / Timeout

Hi guys,

I’ve been having a pretty big problem with hassio for a short time that I can’t really get solved.

The interface freezes completely or is no longer accessible although the home assistant log is writing in the background all the time.
All automations do not work anymore.
The log files show me nothing.
I can still access the Raspberry via SSH.
Only a hard reboot helps in this case, so that I can get back to the interface.
The newest version is running everywhere and nothing is “outdated”.
Can someone help me how to proceed?

The whole thing is running on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Version
core-2021.2.3
Operating System
Home Assistant OS 5.11

Addons:
AdGuard Home
Current version: 3.0.0 (changelog)

Samba share 9.3.0 is available

Mosquitto broker
Current version: 5.1 (changelog)

Could be that the RPI is simply overloaded and out of memory. What load does „top“ report at time of failure?

It has now happened again.
Top I check again when it happens and i will let you know.

This is for example an error I got now before i restart when I logged in via SSH:

System information
panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0x3ee4d8]

goroutine 1 [running]:
github.com/home-assistant/cli/cmd.glob..func27(0x79a360, 0x7b71dc, 0x0, 0x0)
        /home/runner/work/cli/cli/cmd/banner.go:73 +0x198
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute(0x79a360, 0x7b71dc, 0x0, 0x0, 0x79a360                                                      , 0x7b71dc)
        /home/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/spf13/[email protected]/command.go:854 +0x                                                      1e8
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC(0x79f610, 0x1, 0x15538, 0x281a0b0)
        /home/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/spf13/[email protected]/command.go:958 +0x                                                      274
github.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute(...)
        /home/runner/go/pkg/mod/github.com/spf13/[email protected]/command.go:895
github.com/home-assistant/cli/cmd.Execute()
        /home/runner/work/cli/cli/cmd/root.go:71 +0x20
main.main()
        /home/runner/work/cli/cli/main.go:18 +0x58

At the moment “top” shows this when it runs without issues:

Mem: 881316K used, 64648K free, 964K shrd, 81884K buff, 359228K cached
CPU: 2% usr 1% sys 0% nic 95% idle 0% io 0% irq 0% sirq
Load average: 0.15 0.15 0.18 2/453 497

Load is not critical, but don’t know how to interprete the message above.

any other suggestions?

This morning I noticed the same issue. After the reboot it take much longer to load HA. I even restored my previous backup but with the same issue (i presume that I did backup my vm with that fault).

As soon I manage to log back in, there is no tell-tell errors in the Logs. Could be a issue with the last update? (im currently running 2021.2.3)

a quick update: I have pulled my older VM backups and restored the HA from version 0.118 to last 2021.2.3 without any issue. However, when I also updated the Operating System to version 5.11 the problem re-occurred:

Yes it seems for me also that it looks like a bug in Home Assistant OS 5.11.

You both should file an issue at github.

@marrossko Can you create an issue at github?

I’m a first time user of Hass but I’ve run into the same issue. I’ve found out it is caused by doing a virgin boot from a freshly created image WITHOUT a network connection. The error will show on all subsequent boots even with a network connection. Solution: reflash image, make sure you have an internet connection and boot.