Home Assistant hangs when camera component in config

I would do that but some cameras are mounted odd and color issues that needed BI image processing.

Got the same problem. Doesnt matter if i add a camera as generic or ffmpeg.

I had the same error and removed the camera from home assistant for the moment

I have the very same problem. Configured generic camera, sooner o later HA hangs and i have to reboot it. With more cameras (i have still some to put in place and configure), the problem arises sooner.
Currently i had to remove all cameras from HA yaml files.

Cameras comes from Blue Iris.
With 0.92.2 was somewhat stable and working.
With 0.93 i’m down in hell.

No sign of problems in log files.

For me, it wasn’t the camera configs themselves causing the hassio lockups: the stream: option in my config was the culprit. Three cameras were working fine for months. But once I added the stream setting to my config the problems started. Typically within an hour or so of using a stream capability such as streaming to the TV or viewing the live stream on my phone. Didn’t matter if I had recently rebooted or not, and only a power cycle would get it going again. Drove me mad for a while and I’m not sure how I failed to notice that the issue started with the introduction of tge new stream function.

Having removed the stream setting almost 3 weeks ago my hassio install is rock solid again, no issues. I can still view all my cameras but just can’t get a live stream or stream to the TV. That’s fine for now, stability is more important.

The lockups occurred on both a tinkerboard s and in VirtualBox on a Windows 8 machine.

I also have Blue Iris and if I use the stream: component then it just doesn’t work well with my setup. It lags pretty bad if the stream ever even starts. This is with both the stream from BI and with the stream from the camera(s) directly.
The strange thing is that I have some PTZ presets on a couple of my lovelace cards as outlined here:

…and if I hit any of the PTZ buttons when stream: is in the config then HomeAssistant crashes. I have to SSH in and use the CLI to restart.

Ok, i just removed the stream:
Now HA is blazing fast, rock solid. Stream is way from being usable.

I went back to the old system.

1 Like

What method do you use without stream? Stream crashes my HA instance but I would like my Blue Iris cameras in HA.

If you remove “stream:”
you will get picture-glance that use still images refreshed every like 10 seconds, and if you click on them, you will get the video. Less features, but at least it works well.

I realized that with 1 or 2 cameras, you can use stream (if it works), but if you have 10 4-5MP cameras, there is no way you can render them all in a web page without putting your client on it’s knees.

I meant, using the “live” option.

Same issue with 8 unifi cameras, enabled stream and every morning I would find hass hung and have to restart the process

Ive got the same issue. Would really love a fix as I’ve chromecasts on all my TV’s and 2 google smart displays which can stream the camera feeds. I’m using 0.95.4

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Even an automation to reboot after crash may help, anyone?

Hi everyone, have there been any updates to not block the live camera? I have 4 and after a few seconds the live freezes

Freezing live video is different to crashing HA altogether.

Have you guys had any luck with this? I’ve had 4 Hikvision cameras in my config for quite some time, with stream: enabled, but I’ve rarely actually used the live stream (just for a few seconds here or there) and never had an issue, even with pre-load stream enabled for my front door camera.

Last night I enabled camera live-feed notifications for my wife’s iPhone and HA crashed each time a few minutes after a test notification was sent. All front-ends that were open (apps, tablets, and Chrome on my laptop) disconnected and wouldn’t reconnect, and all back-end logs stopped (normally at least a couple log messages/min) with no errors. Had to restart the container manually to get it running again. Couldn’t find anything else, but was led to this old thread, which looks like my issue may be related to.

tl;dr: have you had any luck finding out what was causing the hang?

Nope. I just stopped using streaming.

Dang. OK. Well I swapped the sub-streams of two of my cameras to MJPEG and added them using the MJPEG component instead of generic, seems OK for the moment…

Just noticed this behavior when trying to switch several camera to live mode vs auto. CPU seems fine, but HA just ends up getting really slow and hanging after a period of time. The more streaming cameras, the quicker it hangs.

Just have to keep them on auto and if you want a stream on a single camera, just click on them one at a time individually.

I know this is an old post but I have tried everything. Even tried a PI 4 and a PC - if I use the camera platform for even something simple like a local image my HA is slow and then eventually I cant load anything in the front end - completely kills the front end. Not even the supervisor will load. It starts off with some images/cameras not loading then about 2 mins after HA front end is dead

I have the same issue so I’m removing the live line from the configs and now cameras are back to refreshing every 10 seconds.

Known stream bug. There’s a live issue on the stream component on GitHub