Home Assistant - Help to a new user

Hello to everyone!
I would like to enter to HA but i don’t know how should i start.
I don’t know if i have to go with a raspberry pi 4, home assistant green or yellow.
I was thinking to start with home assistant green and skyconnect.
Please be kind enough to suggest me what hardware should i buy.

1 Like

An excellent place to start! Good luck on your adventure…

1 Like

should i buy and the skyconnect or another dongle?

I use SkyConnect myself, and I’m very happy with it. It’s also the “official” Home Assistant dongle, so a good place to start.

1 Like

If I was just having a play to see if HA is right for me, I would look around and see what old hardware I have kicking about. Old laptops, redundant desktops ets. Any of these can be used to experiment or even produce a system on, although power consumption may be an issue long term. You can even run in a VM on any PC.

No point spending cash if you are not going to be able to cope with HA.

thanks for the answer but i don’t have any kind of pc. That’s why i thought it will be better to start with the green.

Hi @vlapanos, welcome to the forum!

Your question is simple, the answer is not: it all depends on what you plan to do with HA.
If it’s just to automate some lights, get some sensors, switches, you can do a lot with the likes of a RPi, HA Green or Yellow.

If, on the other hand, camera’s and voice come into play, it can become a different game.
I started out very slowly, and still do, by reading a lot and not going all the way immediately.
Do not forget, if you automate your home and you don’t live alone, you might loose the peace in you place.

We can make suggestions that make your head spin.

2 Likes