Home Assistant in VM on Mac Mini - browser?!?

Hi,

I’ve been given a 2011 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and after installing an M2 SSD, I get consistent idling power consumption of 16W, so have decided to try Home Assistant on it, since I can also do other stuff with it, which I can’t with my old RPI3.

I’ve installed the Home Assistant VM image, however, the instructions say to launch a web browser and navigate to HASSIO.local:8123.
Unfortunately, I can’t find how to launch a web browser and there’s no UI! :grimacing:

I’m comfortable using the terminal in Linux, but the same commands don’t seem to be available in the Home Assistant image.

Can someone help me to get a browser launched/installed and explain what’s going on with this please?

I have the same setup.
I checked my router to see what new entires showed up after it was up and running.
http://192.168.1.X:8123

I accessed this from my laptop. The Mac Mini is headless, so VNC is no fun for stuff like that.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried using HASSIO.local:8123 and also using the IP address of the Mac Mini, as shown on my router, but no luck.
This is from my phone’s browser.

I also tried the IPs of some other nameless devices from the router, but get the same result.

Would the Mac Mini and the HA VM show different IPs? I presume so.

Do you know the default login and password for the VM or is there none?

Not sure what to do next.
I don’t really want to try a full reinstall just yet, but don’t know what options I have for troubleshooting!

Yes[quote=“Jeevesy, post:3, topic:210182”]
Do you know the default login and password for the VM or is there none?
[/quote]

root with no password works for HA commands but in the web interface you should get the onboarding screen that asks for you to create a username and password.

What are your network card settings? NAT, Bridge, or Host?

I think the recommended setting in the VM was bridge.

Yes that’s what I have.

It’s working now and I can log in via a browser.
I think the issue was as basic as they come.
I didn’t realise you had to root, THEN run the login command.

Schoolboy error!

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Strange, I didn’t have to type any commands getting things going.
Glad it’s working for you.