Home Assistant inaccessible on local network

I’ve been running a working installation for almost 2 years, but after today’s power outage the laptop running HA went to sleep. I had to restart VirtualBox after waking it up and now I cannot access HA from other devices on the same network.

• I am using Bridged network adapter on Virtual box.
  • Host has IP 192.168.0.98, Guest (HA) has IP 192.168.0.97
  • I can ping both IPs from local network successfully
  • I can access HA from the laptop that is running VB, but not from local network
  • neither 192.168.0.97:8123 nor homeassistant.local:8123 works
  • I tried rebooting Host, Guest, reloading network, reloading supervisor, rebooting router
  • nslookup on the IP addresses shows correct devices (Macbook host, homeassistant guest)

I ran out of ideas on what to try next or how to properly debug this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like the laptop has its or whatever install you had running in virtualbox has its Firewall enabled or rules changed. Since you can open HA on your laptop: its Firewall is most likely the culprit.

It’s running on a MacBook Pro fresh installation and Firewall is off.

You don’t mention how you have Home Assistant running in VirtualBox. Is it a HAOS VM? Some other supervisor OS install?

You mention this has been working for 2 years, do you have any other networking configuration that might influence troubleshooting like NGINX? How did you reach the webserver before the power outage?

You say you can ping from another host on the network. What is the OS of that host? If Windows, open a PowerShell terminal and enter:

tnc 192.168.0.97 -port 8123

and post the results.

Can you open the guest terminal screen in VirtualBox? What is the prompt there? If it’s

ha >

enter “login” and type “docker ps” and provide the output.