Home assistant installation on MACOS or better on NAS?

Hello,
I am pretty new here but would like to start with Home assistant. First question I am asking myself as I see we need to use a Virtual machine is … is it better to install on a MAC OS, knowing the computer is only turned ON couple of hours a day, or on a Synology NAS, which is always ON ?

I am thinking that home assistant needs to be accessible and launched from a machine that is always ON, meaning the Synology -, is it correct ?
Also for getting the data if it is not running it will not collect, right ?

Many Thanks !

Well, if the computer isn’t turned on, the software isn’t running… if the software isn’t running it isn’t going to be able to do anything.

1 Like

ok, thanks a lot … I will try to install it on my Synology NAS, and look for the requirements.
I think I need to install Virtual machine, but not sure what resources it needs RAM, …

Many Thanks !

What it needs depends a lot on what you’re going to do with it, but as a rough guide your minimum is:

• 2 Cores with a combined CPUMark of 900
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 32 GB of storage

I’d personally suggest that you should start at 2 GB of RAM, and more of all of those is a good plan.

I don’t mean to be harsh but, if that is a question, you need to do a lot more reading about HA and what it needs and can do.
What do you want it to do now? Then think about how it can help in the future. Not easy questions at all.

Thanks a lot for now !