Home Assistant - New Zealand

Yeah added it there now, waiting my 24 hrs :slight_smile:

You shouldnā€™t need to wait 24 hours (unless you just signed up to Meridian), rather there can be a lag in the data coming through. Can you share an energy dashboard settings screenshot?

Google Photos

Hi

Sanjay here. I am based in West Auckland and bit of Automation hobbyist myself. Was going through the posts on here and found couple of ideas that would like to put in place. I have moved to new house couple of years now and I have some previous sonoff wall switch that I am not use in the new house due the to socket space in the wall. I am planning to sell them if anyone in here is interested. There are few one, two and three channel ones. They are flashed with tasmota firware and i will reset itā€¦

1 Like

That should be working for you. Which plan are you on? I may need to grab some more details. I am on the EV plan.

Sorry for the delay, EVERYDAY ECONOMY FIXED RATE PLAN according to my latest bill.

Can we get the values as sensors, so we can show them in apex charts, etc?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about that, sorry. The integration creates statistics entities which go in behind the scenes back dated because we donā€™t have real time data to track.

Thanks for your efforts in creating this. I seem to have an issue with the add-on failing because we have some cancelled accounts with Contact (used to have gas).

Iā€™ve logged it here for you.

Cheers, Tim

Hi Cody,

Thanks for the great integration. I am also getting zero values in my contact energy setup in HA. I am however a little confused about which sensors I should be using? Please see below for my current setup.

Also see these errors in the logs:
2024-01-29 19:28:50.257 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.const] ENERGY_KILO_WATT_HOUR was used from contact_energy, this is a deprecated constant which will be removed in HA Core 2025.1. Use UnitOfEnergy.KILO_WATT_HOUR instead, please create a bug report at https://github.com/codyc15/ha-contact-energy/issues
2024-01-29 19:29:00.284 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setup of sensor platform contact_energy is taking over 10 seconds.
2024-01-29 22:29:01.332 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/19
2024-01-29 22:29:01.898 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/20
2024-01-29 22:29:02.434 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/21
2024-01-29 22:29:02.927 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/22
2024-01-29 22:29:03.768 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/23
2024-01-29 22:29:04.386 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/24
2024-01-29 22:29:05.082 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/25
2024-01-29 22:29:05.928 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/26
2024-01-29 22:29:06.451 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/27
2024-01-29 22:29:07.280 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/28
2024-01-30 01:29:01.324 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [custom_components.contact_energy.api] Failed to fetch usage data for 2024/1/20

I have confirmed that my credentials in the configuration.yaml file work logging into the contact webpage. On the Fuel Rewards Freedom Plan.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

I now have the same errors with ā€œFailed to fetch usage dataā€¦ā€ - I turned on debug logging for this component and now see that Iā€™m getting a ā€œ502 Bad Gatewayā€ - so something @codyc1515 will need to investigate I suspect.

1 Like

Make that 4, plus a couple of guys at work are using HA.

anyone got ā€œEnergy Onlineā€, Formally Frank data?

Can you open their website and see if they expose an API via ā€œLog Network Activityā€ within Edge\Chrome?

I learnt about this yesterday with Contact (Iā€™m not a developer, just curious) and found out more about their API.

buggered if I know what iā€™m looking for, iā€™ll read up some more

Essentially youā€™re trying to decipher the urlā€™s that the customer facing website is accessing.

Since posting the above Iā€™ve learnt that itā€™s far easier to use a tool called Postman that you can use in conjunction with their browser plugin to capture exactly what is happening when you access their normal customer website.

You end up with the urls needed to access your data and the data it returns in JSON formatā€¦ this is valid for any website you want to get data off for Home Assistant.

2 Likes

epic, awesome that all worked after a bit of a learning curve :slight_smile: NOW, how to use it, :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it is a single URL you want to repeatably get data from then something like the Curl integration or the RESTful integration you should be able to use for your own instance.

Perhaps something likeā€¦

sensor:
 - platform: command_line
   name: Get Frank Energy Sensor
   command: 'curl -X GET https://api.frankenergy.co.nz/usage'
   value_template: '{{ value_json.key }}'

If you click the </> code button in Postman it spits out the curl command you requireā€¦

Obviously people like @codyc1515 have taken that information and written a Python add-on which many others can then use.

1 Like

After 7 weeks I finally got my Ioniq 5 back (faulty BMS) so Iā€™m back into trying to get the SoC into Home Assistant. I first tried reading the results from my existing OBDLink CX via BLE but didnā€™t have much luck. In the end I ordered one of the Wican devices from Mouser, I ordered it on the 20th and it arrived today (to Christchurch) for NZ$70 including shipping with Fedex. Iā€™ve only had about an hour to play with it but I have the basics working, I used the instructions from here. One comment is that youā€™ll probably want to use an extension cord to hide the device under the dash, itā€™s a lot taller than my OBDLink and sits above the accelerator so Iā€™m a bit worried about kicking it when getting in and out of the car.

Edit: I just noticed youā€™re already in that thread!

1 Like

Yeah, how are you getting on getting anything other than PID 91 out of it?