Home Assistant - Node Red - Nest Thermostat

I just started using Home Assistant and am by no means a programmer. I have been setting everything up in Home Assistant, but programming my automation in Node Red. Nest did away with their integration so I installed BadNest. It is connected and I was able to add the thermostat card to my UI. I can use the card to control my thermostat and everything responds correctly. I want to set schedules and adjust the setpoints but I can’t figure out how to pull the current values or set values from node red. (or HA for that matter, but I would like to keep the automations in Node Red)

For example I want to be able to set the target_temp_high to a certain number. I know this is under the attributes but for the life of me can not figure out how to push the value to the thermostat. I do not know how to use the attributes.

I was able to change the target_temp_high from 70 to 71 with the Home Assistant UI. Once I figure this out I should be able to get the rest of my automation going.

Open HA. Developer tools, Services.

Select climate.set_temperature in the dropdown.

You will see what data it is expecting. Formulate your JSON accordingly, and bring that over to Node Red.

Here is an example of one I did where I was just setting a static temp.

I just set the payload to contain those parameters and let it do its thing. It’s not clean, and not the only way to do it, but it worked. I am working out a better method, so for now all my climate controls are manual (everyone is home anyway, so no real need for automation like The Before Times)

Any ideas on why I am getting an API error?

I see you have 2 }} at the end. Should only be one

Good catch! I deleted the second bracket at the end and am still getting the same error though. Maybe I set up the call service wrong? I am very new to this. haha

If you are setting everything in the payload, you don’t need to fill out anything in the call service node except for the server.

I added a new call service with only the server set to Home Assistant and I still receive the same error. I also tried going back to just an inject and a call service to set the high and low and get the same error.

Must be me, but why so difficult? All i use is a Call service node.

1 Like

I had (have) the same problem. It is getting to many API requests so you get an API error. Adding a filter node after the action seems to let the error occur less. Still doesn’t work as it should.