Home assistant not starting after reboot Windows 10

i have gone back a few more versions, uninstalled and deleted all files, reinstalled changed network card types and still have the same issue, not sure what is blocking the bridged network. I found that if i set to Nat i do get an ip address as shown in the second screen shot below. Looks like i just need to get the bridged network issue fixed and i will be set. Does anyone know how to actually troubleshoot why the bridged network is failing or if it is it Virtualbox or Hassio issue.

I donā€™t think itā€™s an HAOS and VirtualBox issue, as Iā€™m using both with out your issues. What is really bazaar is when you replaced your NIC (assuming a different chip-set) and still encountered the problem.

Before your post, I was suspecting a NIC driver issue, but now I have no idea.

Are you able to create a Hyper-V machine for HAOS that works?

1. Re-install VB and skip the ā€˜host networkā€™, you donā€™t need it for HA.
  2. Verify your internet interface got the ā€˜VirtualBox NDIS Bridged Networking driverā€™ protocol:
  3. Configure VB using only one network. Choose ā€˜Bridged Adapterā€™
  4. Under name, choose the interface connected to your local network (and internet)

That is basically itā€¦

For trouble shooting, you can type:
network --help or network info:

other options:
network update --help
Here you could set a manual IP address, but I would recomment making a DHCP reservation on your router for MAC Address 08:00:27:29:B2:49 (the MAC your specified earlier)

Thanks, been there done all that multiple times even with different versions of virtual box, I am going to add a network card to the machine and try bridging to it instead of the built in one. If that fails i will try hyper-v next. image

weird, indeed no ip4 addressā€¦just blankā€¦

HyperV should work just a well, i used to run it, but recently i switched, as my new ConbeeII usb stick does not work over tcp (and my old cc2531 did) and HyperV does not support usb.

I tried VB first, but it would crash after a while (from few minutes to few hours; @ServiceXp i experience similar issues with 6.1.30)
So now i use VmWare, runs fine and stable

Can you run a VmWare VM as a service?

Nope, but it can be started from dos prompt.

Also mounting usb devices takes some editing of config files.

Would be nice to have it as service though (in case it crashes)

But as far as i know, VB canā€™t run as service either, but i agree, starting it with an icon is easier than a dos prompt :wink:

Thanks for the info.

VirtualBox canā€™t run as a service natively, but through this service you can. The service can also be control via command line.

It works well for the most part. My only ā€˜complaintā€™ is you canā€™t interact with a running VM via the VB GUI while the VM is running as a service under the VBoxVmService. You need to shut down both the VM and the Service.

@ServiceXp Coolā€¦
Did some googling, and it seems AlwaysUp can do the same for VMWare (and guess also for VB)
But since I am working on replacing my W10 with a newer laptop with Debian, guess Iā€™ll leave it as it is for nowā€¦(but iā€™ll take some time before I have everything running again under Debian :wink: )

1 Like

Nice, looks like a very well rounded solution. 50 Bucks isnā€™t a bad price either.

Sooooo my win desktop power supply died on me and system shut down. I replaced the power supply and booted back Win10 immediately starting doing updates after the dust setteled I waited for my HA to start by headless but after 15 mins nothing so I opened the VB manager to see the following https://youtu.be/NgzmdC6kaWg

so i gave it time and yes I ate boot-loops for 24hrs+ any suggestions on how to recover other than a restored backup which i have but is 31 days old Iā€™d rather be able to recover the current data if possible. thank you

That doesnā€™t look good. Sorry, I have nothing to offer.

Thank you for taking a look but I have come up with a somewhat messy but viable recovery.