Home assistant not starting after reboot Windows 10

I loaded home assistant 2 weeks ago mainly to get my insteon devices controllable, other than having to name all the devices it was seamless. i started to play around with a scene and did not get it working, i had to reboot my server and now it will not complete setup, i see errors but need some help figuring out how to fix them. Any on have thoughts on trouble shooting this or should i just start over?

2022-04-29 06:11:23 ERROR (MainThread) [root] Uncaught exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\hass_win_main_.py”, line 86, in
sys.exit(main.main())
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\homeassistant_main_.py”, line 191, in main
exit_code = runner.run(runtime_conf)
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\homeassistant\runner.py”, line 119, in run
return loop.run_until_complete(setup_and_run_hass(runtime_config))
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\asyncio\base_events.py”, line 642, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\homeassistant\runner.py”, line 101, in setup_and_run_hass
hass = await bootstrap.async_setup_hass(runtime_config)
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\homeassistant\bootstrap.py”, line 131, in async_setup_hass
await async_from_config_dict(config_dict, hass) is not None
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\python-3.9.10.amd64\lib\site-packages\homeassistant\bootstrap.py”, line 244, in async_from_config_dict
_LOGGER.info(“Home Assistant initialized in %.2fs”, stop - start)
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\config\custom_components\start_time\sensor.py”, line 28, in monkey_info
self.internal_update(args[0])
File “C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Automation\HassWP_2022.2.3\config\custom_components\start_time\sensor.py”, line 63, in internal_update
setup_time: dict = self.hass.data.get(‘setup_time’)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘data’

Before you get started, you should really think hard about using HassWP (I would NOT). If you want a ‘full featured’ easy setup,

1. Download and install VirtualBox 6.1.30 (any VM software (except Hyper-V if you need to pass USB ports))
  2. Follow this video to get the VM setup and running.
  3. For auto start: Create .bat file with the string below and place it in your startup folder (must have windows auto logon when starting)

start “” “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe” startvm HomeAssistant --type headless

HomeAssistant = the name of you VM

1 Like

Thank you for the advise was hoping i could fix it for now but i think what you are saying, at this point it makes sense to just start over but on a virtual machine.

I agree with @ServiceXp VirtualBox route is much simpler. HA on windows is a real mess.

I addition to what @ServiceXp already said, I also create a restart or shutdown bat, shutting down windows without powering down the vm sometime causes corrupted virtual disk. I just put a shortcut like this to restart windows.

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" controlvm "Home Assistant" acpipowerbutton
shutdown /r /t 10

Timeout depend how long your HA need to shutdown

I got the virtual box setup started but get stuck with no IP only a name , i cannot get the webpage using http://homeassistant:8123
I found i was able to reset my local instance for now. but i really want to get the virtual box version working, any help would be appreciated.

Looking good, now log into your router and see what IP was assigned to HA.

Then try using the IP address with port :8123

Example: 192.168.1.132:8123

Oh, and if you want to use DNS you would use http://homeassistant.local:8123.

However this may not work at first. Hence try using the IP.

I do not get any reference to HA in my router, I keep getting seeing this error when i restart the virtual box. It does not look like an IP gets assigned. If i leave it sit on the screen i get some timeout messages. Any thoughts on what i should check would be appreciated.

What version of Virtual Box did you install?

Make sure the VB network card is in bridge mode (and not host only)!!

61 is the version, read thru several post and do not see what i have set wrong,
i am wondering if symantec firewall is stopping something from working.

The version you are using is 6.1.34 which HA has known issues with (also issues with .32). Try 6.1.30, via the link I provided.

Do you know exactly what the known issues are, tried to google it, but didn’t find anything regarding 6.1.34 (or 32) ??

I can’t find them right now, but there is at least 3 forum posts about it and I believe there is a Github issue on it also.

I think i found them here searching for 6.1.32 this time…

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?context=topic&context_id=416839&q=6.1.32%20virtual%20&skip_context=true

and the errors look familiar… it just isn’t stable (on VB 6.1.34, it runs for a couple of mins, sometimes hours, but eventually it would stall…)
So now I’m running on VMWare, but i think i will 6.1.30 someday to see if it more stable :wink:)

Thank for the info!

i uninstalled and installed the 6.1.30, same errors. Nothing shows in my router, i see if i ping homeassitant by name i get this

and if you use

ping -4 homeassistant

(what you see is the IPv6 address :wink:)

Crap, that’s unexpected…

1. You followed the instructions exactly in the video I posted?
  2. Do you have a screen shot of the startup errors?

I don’t understand why your system is defaulting to ipv6 on a ping command (I thought is should default to ipv4). Hmmmm.