Home assistant on Cubox-i 4pro or HP chromebox CB1-019

Hello everyone ! I’m new to home assistant environnement and a noob into home automation.
I have two devices that I would use to Home Assistant:

1.HP chromebox CB1-019→ 4Gig DDR3, 32 Gig m.2 ssd, 1.4GHz Intel Celeron 2955U Processor
*** The BIOS have been flashed to install Windows 10*** (HP Chromebox CB1-019 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support)

1. Cubox-i 4pro → 2GB DDR3, 8GB eMMC, NXP i.MX 6 Quad core Arm Cortex A9 up to 1GHz
    (CuBox | Arm Based Low Power Computer | SolidRun)

So I would like to know witch one would the best option (easy to setup, stable, easy to manage, compatibility (google assistant)) and what else do I need ? Zigbee dongle ? Z-Wave dongle ?

Thanks in advance for your advices !

If the eMMC is the only option for storage, don’t try it. 8GB is way too small.

If there is UEFI, install HA OS

Only needed if you want to use Zigbee or Z-Wave devices.

1 Like

thanks for the quick reply!
on the CuBox-i 4pro I can connect a eSata drive or usb drives (there’s 2 usb port)

I just want to avoid using docker and VM

I tried HA on a Cubox (i4p tv-300-d the one first released), about a year ago or so.

I vaguely remember running in to some dependence issues that hindered my adventure. At the time I had other SBC’s to test HA with. so I did not spend to much time with it. At the time I was having better luck installing HA on a Clearfog Base (another SolidRun SBC/router board). That’s another story.

I may revisit the Cubox w/HA, I all ways like the fact it has a SATA port and thought at the time (1 1/2 years ago) It woud be great to run HA off a HDD/SDD. Then the the Dev’s baked it in to HASS os! :partying_face:

Thanks for reminding me to try the Cubox again.

1 Like