Home Assistant on Intel NUC

that’s good to know but the point was that the claim was made that using HassOS was better because there is no additional OS to maintain but apparently that doesn’t seem to be true.

Try run 20 odd h265 + camera’s in motioneye with motion detection and tell me what that does to your cpu…

The point being that the OP wanted to install native nuc image, and was wondering how. It then (as i find with these posts) that the conversation then regressed into What way is better… Noboday can answer that on behalf someone else before understand the full use case and roadmap thereof…

Each to their own… peace out…

Use Shinobi instead, your CPU usage will drop by 75%. I went away from MotionEye for exactly that reason.

has it firmed up? I tested it a eyar ago and it was super flaky… even frenck ditched the addon build… if there is an addon, then great if not will wait

As has been mentioned in the thread a couple of times, installing Home Assistant Supervised (Hass.io) using the generic Linux install method, is the way to go on a NUC.

Choose your flavor of Linux, I use Ubuntu, others use Debian. Follow the instructions on the guide page and you’ll have a fully functioning Home Assistant Supervised (Hass.io) running in under an hour.

I you need a little more help getting it going, I have a guide HERE that might help you. It’s not been updated since the name change from Hass.io, but will work as intended.

I give up…

look here regarding shinobi… Shinobi Camera Component - #30 by yllar

I’ve been using it for probably about 6mths now, maybe longer. I run an old Dell Optiplex with Core i5 2400 and 8gb RAM, 5 Camera’s running. CPU usage sits around 15% and RAM usage of 2.5gb - this is with about 15 containers running, HA, Plex etc.

I have 30 camera’s split between 2 continents close on 6000miles away from each other… every user has a different use case… the install options will depend on the user and his unique use cases… nobody can say that one method is categorically better than another… that is my point

I think you are confusing my comments about Shinobi and HA.

@uiguy PM Sent with info.

Quickly going back to my starting point: I found the HA in Docker approach by scrolling to the end of the page—I had carefully read the steps to complete installation at the beginning but didn’t scroll down to the end :frowning: Sorry for the confusion caused and thanks for your help!

I want to use the NUC as server for other applications as well. Therefore the Home Assistant image is not a good option. This leaves HA in docker and HA core in Docker (my current setup). I would probably choose the first when starting from scratch due to the benefit of addons. Downside is effort for the transition now, plus the setup is quite intransparent to me as a non HA / HassOS expert (it’s hard to fix issues if you don’t understand the basics what‘s going on).

1 Like

not all all, they tie in quite nicely infact… nothing drives CPU in HA liek camera’s… the debate is which method is better… you categorically stated that one method is better… which I argue is not the case as you cannot speak for user preferece, skillset or use case…

I don’t find running native nuc build a waste… in fact it suits me perfectly… so for me… as a user… your statement is incorrect… My nuc is nicely tuned and optimsed and running at acceptible cpu…

This is my primary build, with remote sites running on RPI’s

Great, I’m glad that method works well for you. For me and many, many others, it doesn’t.

I didn’t, I suggested “it is the way to go”, not the be-all-and-end-all solution. Relax, I was making a suggestion to help the OP decide on a way forward.

if i was more relaxed I would be horizontal :wink: peace out… this (type of) debate always has the longest threads…

1 Like

What we as a community have to remember, is that it is OK for noobs to go an inneficient (according to thier own use case) way at the beginning… you are not painting yourself into a corner… the various methods make it super complicated to learn as a newcomer, so if installing a base hassos on a nuc gets you onto the learning curve (with loads of breathing room due to capacity) then so be it and we can’t make them feel pressured into another way… everyone finds their own way in the end… we just have to keep supporting and growing…

We as early adopters are generally more technical, but this can be intimidating and creates barriers to entry…

1 Like

Typically, the supervisor updates without any input from the user. But as you can see below, the OS and HA Core updates are pretty straight forward. What I appreciate the most is that I don’t have to deal with any dependancies like python versions.

If you run a generic linux install you don’t need to bother about python versions either… python versions are irrelevant for any flavour of docker install…

2 Likes

Very true. When I switched to Hassio from venv, it was to get past whatever version of python that was being deprecated at the time. It has worked so well for me that I have not had a need to take ownership of the OS and Docker layers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Because the I/O performance of the USB3, even on the RPi 4 sucks in comparison to, e.g, an NVMe flash SSD on a NUC. Often, it’s not (only) about the CPU but the I/O performance that determines what the user experience is.

I’ll grant you that for running just the Home Assistant (Core) application this isn’t a big deal. However, if you also want InfluxDB and Grafana to visualize historical information it can matter to you.

If you do want to use a Raspberry Pi4, then you can move the root filesystem to an external USB3 attached disk and see a big improvement in performance, and more importantly, more a more reliable system as compared to using an SD card. But there’s another big jump going to a SATA or NVMe/PCI attached flash device in a NUC-style platform.

1 Like

I believe it is definitely wrong

1 Like

I started with Pi3 and run into problems when adding homekit devices, upgraded to Pi4 , a little better but ended deleting wifi homekit devices, i have sd card problems, recently bough a new one (a model that supports quick and multiple writings) and will get it tomorrow to clone the old one, my brain tells me i will have problems again and I will not be able to have my whole setup on a Raspberry (More than 60 devices, different brands, some tasmota). Will you totally advice to move to a greater system?, NUC, which one?. an old I5 will be good enough?, loudness and power consumption are concerns.

Thanks