Home Assistant on Intel NUC

I run this as a backup with synced directories, but as my main install, and with all the various bits and bobs (BLE, Zigbee, Z-wave, GSM) I found that it was easier for me to have a physcial install that I could position correctly in my house that was not in my server rack in the basement…

1 Like

and you have one less OS to maintain…

1 Like

Hardware need is used based.

I run >2yr on RasPi outdoor in poorly weather protected environment on SD card. Never had issue(this may change today since I put this :grin:). This control (1) relay and monitor (2) sensor

I have dual xeon for main HA with several switch, automation, etc as this setup work slow on RasPi. Even had SD card issue early on.

I believe RasPi easily support small home/system if properly setup. Even SD card ok if limit DB writes through config.

but you also have a somewhat more limited functionality.

But (this is an honest question I have no idea what the answer is) how does the OS get updated on HassOS? I know that the supervisor gets automatically updated regularly. But the supervisor in HA isn’t the OS, it’s just another docker container that is run by a system service. Correct?

Does a supervisor update also update the HassOS? Or does the user also need to update the base HassOS?

Updates to HassOS just take a click of the mouse, or can be done via CLI if you want.

But that’s separate and apart from updating the supervisor and HA itself?

So if that’s true then you have to do something to maintain the OS just as you would on any other OS?

Ok well glad it’s just an opinion!
I doubt anything is easier than doing a generic-Linux-install of Home Assistant Supervised (formerly hassio). You have full control and use of the base Linux O/S and can use docker-compose for other containers as well as being able to install the hassio addons.

Just installing Home Assistant Core via docker-compose isn’t easier IMO. I wasn’t promoting the hassio nuc image either - just answering the posters questions.

1 Like

It is but on the same screen you get the icon to update HA there is now one to update HassOS. supervisor updates itself as required.

how so? unless you want to use the box for loads of other stuff outside of the home assistant ecosystem, then yea sure, but I want to use my nuc as dedicated to Home Assistant and associated addon’s… so for me, it all clean and simple and wrapped up in one lovely UI… :slight_smile:

saying this way has limited functionality is like saying I don’t want a ferrari because it can’t go offroad… well some people don’t want to go offroad… or have a suv as well…

That’s all well and good but what’s the point in buying an overpowered machine to do almost the same as you can do with a raspberry Pi 4.

Having the NUC gives you the ability to do much more than just HA stuff.

I think you’re analogy is severely flawed.

It’s more like saying “I want to buy a Ferrari but I want the engine to be software limited to only being able to drive it at 55 mph because I’ll only ever drive it that fast”.

If you don’t ever want to drive your Ferrari faster than 55 then buy a car with a smaller engine and don’t waste money on a sports car. Likewise, if you don’t want your NUC to do anything much more than what a RPi4 can do then don’t waste money on buying the NUC. Just buy the Rpi4.

Heck even with running HA and all of it’s associated stuff and also running a Kodi video server on my NUC I almost never see CPU load over about 30% with occasional blips a bit over 40%. Most of the time it runs around 20%. So I still have capacity to do more if I want.

ex

ex1

yeah… a NUC is a waste just to use HA on IMO.

1 Like

that’s good to know but the point was that the claim was made that using HassOS was better because there is no additional OS to maintain but apparently that doesn’t seem to be true.

Try run 20 odd h265 + camera’s in motioneye with motion detection and tell me what that does to your cpu…

The point being that the OP wanted to install native nuc image, and was wondering how. It then (as i find with these posts) that the conversation then regressed into What way is better… Noboday can answer that on behalf someone else before understand the full use case and roadmap thereof…

Each to their own… peace out…

Use Shinobi instead, your CPU usage will drop by 75%. I went away from MotionEye for exactly that reason.

has it firmed up? I tested it a eyar ago and it was super flaky… even frenck ditched the addon build… if there is an addon, then great if not will wait

As has been mentioned in the thread a couple of times, installing Home Assistant Supervised (Hass.io) using the generic Linux install method, is the way to go on a NUC.

Choose your flavor of Linux, I use Ubuntu, others use Debian. Follow the instructions on the guide page and you’ll have a fully functioning Home Assistant Supervised (Hass.io) running in under an hour.

I you need a little more help getting it going, I have a guide HERE that might help you. It’s not been updated since the name change from Hass.io, but will work as intended.

I give up…

look here regarding shinobi… Shinobi Camera Component - #30 by yllar

I’ve been using it for probably about 6mths now, maybe longer. I run an old Dell Optiplex with Core i5 2400 and 8gb RAM, 5 Camera’s running. CPU usage sits around 15% and RAM usage of 2.5gb - this is with about 15 containers running, HA, Plex etc.

I have 30 camera’s split between 2 continents close on 6000miles away from each other… every user has a different use case… the install options will depend on the user and his unique use cases… nobody can say that one method is categorically better than another… that is my point

I think you are confusing my comments about Shinobi and HA.

@uiguy PM Sent with info.