Home assistant on QNAP TS-431 ARM fails to start up

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting home assistant to boot on my QNAP NAS. I’ve followed the instructions here installing the arm build in container station. When starting up the console reports “: Unsupported system page size” so I added the following “JEMALLOC_DISABLE=true” to my environment but still get the same errors. The docker instance will always crash shortly after being started.

Here is the console output:

<jemalloc>: Unsupported system page size                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Fatal Python error: _PyRuntimeState_Init_impl: Can't initialize threads for interpreter                                                                                                                                                                               
Python runtime state: unknown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[cont-finish.d] done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[s6-finish] waiting for services.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.                                                                                                                                                                                         
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...                                                                                                                                                                                                               
[fix-attrs.d] done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
starting version 3.2.9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
[16:25:24] INFO: Update udev information                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 0.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
[cont-init.d] done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[services.d] starting services                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
[services.d] done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Fatal Python error: _PyRuntimeState_Init_impl: Can't initialize threads for interpreter                                                                                                                                                                               
Python runtime state: unknown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[cont-finish.d] done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[s6-finish] waiting for services.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: I’ve tried both ARM builds (armv7 & armhf) with and without the JEMALLOC_DISABLE environment variable.

To answer my own thread. I came across this commit on Github so I tried changing “JEMALLOC_DISABLE” to “DISABLE_JEMALLOC” and this resolved my issue. I already made a change to the official installation page to correct the confusion. My commit just needs to be accepted.

Hi, I cant find in qnap where to do this?..
please help me out because i cant find the file…

greets mupsje

You are going to want to do something like this in Container Station.

Untitled

1 Like

In case others searching for this too:
Took me a while to find that I must duplicate the container to add env variables in the GUI.

1 Like

Thank you for this answer, this did the trick.
the only thing is now that i miss the add-on button, do you have a solution for that?
kind regards,
Alfred

Add-ons require a managed instance of HA. Running HA core you can install most Add-ons or similar services as separate containers. For example I run a DuckDNS container, Linuxserver.io swag container, and ESPHome container to name a few.

yeah but some “addons” are special build like the “dutch gas prices” and “toogoodtogoo” etc…
How do you link those to the HA ?

greets…

Some addons will work by networking the container with the HA core container. Other times, you can find an alternative container or a HACS version of the addon.