Home assistant on Synology: Docker vs VM

Hi everybody,

I know this is a old thread but I think the conclusion is miss leading. I tried the VMM way on my DS218+. CPU usage of VMM + HA running (not configured yet, I can set the username right now) is by 5%. Which is IMHO not that much for a hole OS with a full docker installation running. So I can’t confirm the high CPU usage.

Is it possible that you just looked at the host CPU usage? Mine is between 40% and 60% because of the AV scanner working in background.

I have a VM running because always thinking if I would switch back to Docker (previously I used the image from Frederike with supervisor which was terminated long ago). I am also using a 281+ here.
Currently I have some issues with live streams from camera’s. I thought it might have to do with the 218+ performance.
I decided to do a little test.
With VM runnig CPU was 71% and RAM 66% (10gb in total) When I switched VM off CPU was down to 68-70% and RAM to solid 20%.

Here is my setup and system stats on a Synology DS720+ running DSM 7 and RAM upgraded to 10GB total.

1. HomeBridge is running 24/7 using the native install (not docker)
  2. In Docker I am just running the Unifi controller (btw this works amazingly well for people that own some Unifi gear without a dedicated security key or dream machine)
  3. Surveillance Station runs 24/7 with 6 connected cameras. Interestingly, it seems like most of these system resources are accounted for upfront, meaning that opening up Live View or other streams doesn’t tax the cpu/ram any further.
  4. Also running file backup, indexer, and Video Station sporadically

Also have a Hubitat as the central hub, but obviously this device doesn’t really impact nas performance.

With the above setup I am at:
CPU: ~10%
RAM: ~15%
I only see the CPU spike up occasionally for certain activities, but the RAM usage rarely goes up

I have HomeAssistant running in VM and set to use 2 cores with 3GB of ram (I’m not running much through HA, just a few dashboards, so I don’t need a ton of RAM). Could probably drop it down to 1 core, but the more RAM the better. 2 GB of ram would work but be tight, 2.5GB would be perfect but you can only allocate in full increments.

With VM running I am at:
CPU: ~19-30%
RAM: ~50% (keep in mind that 3GB is automatically allocated whether HA is using all of it in the VM)
I don’t notice any slowdown or negative impact on any other services while using the VM

Overall I really like running as many things off the NAS as possible because after all, it is a 24/7 server and often under utilized for how much power/storage it has (compared to a pi).

My only complaint is that when you have issues, not as many people on the forums can offer advice because it is used less than Pi or other install methods. Also, there seems to be some issues with seeing IP cameras because of the extra layer of the VM on the NAS. Maybe I’ve just had bad luck because my cameras are a few years older…

Anyway, hope these stats help some new users who are deciding how to set up their systems!

2 Likes

I have observation that Syno CPU usage jump high when VM Manager GUI is running. When it’s closed, then CPU usage is quite normal. My DS218+ is under Telegram/Grafana monitoring and it doesn’t show any criminal numbers .

Running HAOS VMM and couple of docker containers.
But overall performance is not so good. For example HA server reboot after version upgrade usually take about 10 minutes.

I agree, Fancois, without Supervisor you can’t install any add-ons other than than the 10-15 that are of no use.

Besides add-ons, the more important issue is usb devices supporting on DSM7. Because I need one USB modem stick and USB DAC works with HA, after upgraded to DSM7, I had run HassOS VM for a long period, and had configured a cpu load sensor, it’s glad to say that the cpu load comes down to a normal level after couple of days, as low as 7% on idle.

I changed from Docker to VM on Synology. Silly question, but how can I edit the config file? :thinking:

Under HAOS, you have add-ons. So you could go to settings → add-ons → click the blue add-on store button at the lower-right corner, and use either this:
… or this:

And then you can find your configuration.yaml to edit.

But wait - probably should ask this first: What kind of this “config file” are we talking about? I assume configuration.yaml, but if you are talking about the VM config file, or something else, then you’d have to consult Synology.

Yes, I just want to edit configuration.yaml.
Thank you for explanation :slightly_smiling_face:

Are you still looking for this? I believe if you map the /config folder of the container to a folder in the Docker host, you’ll find the configuration files there and can edit it with any editor on your host.