Home Assistant OS 11.4 to 11.5 upgrade crashes crashes and reverts to previous version on reboot

I have HAOS 11.4 installed on a 32GB SD card, on an AMD A3 x86 mini PC.

I used Method 2 from this link to do the original installation (Link)

I’m trying to upgrade to from version 11.4 to version 11.5.

I select Settings - System - Updates - and then click on the link to 11.5. I press install.

The blue bar goes across the screen for several minutes and then Home Assistant reboots itself automatically.

The normal HAOS loading text scrolls down the screen too quickly for me to read, then it reboots and briefly shows a screen saying:

Slot A (OK=1 try=3)
Slot B (OK=1 Try=1)
Slot A (Rescue Shell)
Slot B (Rescue Shell

It then cycles through the slots and reboots repeatedly until goes back to the old 11.4 loading screen, and I’m back to where I started. Other than not upgrading Home Assistant appears to be running smoothly after it has rebooted for the last time.

I have the following error message under HA Core

The system could not validate that the sqlite3 database at //config/home-assistant_v2.db was shutdown cleanly

I have no error messages under Supervisor or Host.

I have this in home-assistant.log.1

2024-04-07 15:07:41.933 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Failed to to call /supervisor/info - System is not ready with state: shutdown
2024-04-07 15:07:47.669 WARNING (Thread-12 (_do_shutdown)) [homeassistant.util.executor] Thread[SyncWorker_48] is still running at shutdown: File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py”, line 1030, in _bootstrap
self._bootstrap_inner()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py”, line 1073, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/threading.py”, line 1010, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 89, in _worker
work_item = work_queue.get(block=True)

home-assistant.log.fault is empty

I previously had the same problem moving from Home Assistant OS 11.3 to 11.4.

I was told that my SD card (16GB) was probably too small or corrupt so performed a clean installation on a new SD card and restored my setting from a backup.

Are there any known issues that might be causing this.

If possible, I’d like to try to fix this problem rather than reinstall\restore, as that’s going to become a chore if I have to do it every time I want to go to a new version.

Minimum SD card size should be 32G and preferably 64G.

OK, that’s annoying. I guess that I’m doing another reinstall.

When I looked up the requirements, most of the guides said that 32GB would be enough for a basic install, including most of the threads in this site. I guess that I must have been reading older ones that were out of date.

For future reference, what’s the best way to check available disc space. Google says that I should use du or df on the command line, but I’m not sure that I’m reading it right. Is there a command line that simply has a column gives me the free disc space as a percentage of the total for all volumes?

Try this: df -h -t ext4 - only need to look at first line

I think that it’s picking up the internal SSD, rather than the SD card as it’s telling me that I have 199.1Gig free.

home assistant dir size

Either that or something has gone really wrong.

If I take the SD card out it won’t boot at all, so I’m pretty certain that there isn’t a bootable instance of HA on the SSD. I was originally going to install HA on to the SSD, but had some problems with it.

try lsblk to see what partitions the system reports.

then try lsblk -f

to experiment with options: lsblk -h

`

try lsblk to see what partitions the system reports.

It says Command not found when I try that.

The storage option under settings says that I’m only using 5% of my total disk space, so maybe it’s just one particular partition that’s full, not the entire disk

For this command you require console access:

First type login to enter the OS.
Then lsblk.

Now it’s asking me for a password, but it’s not accepting my normal HA admin password, presumably this is some different default one?

I’m afraid that I have almost zero Linux experience.

Login, enter on password (there is none)

I must have a different version from you, it’s saying incorrect password when I try that.

I’m doing this from the virtual terminal on the left hand menu.

Is this the wrong place?

You must be on the console or ssh into the os. The ssh add-ons ssh into the HA Core container, not usable for that.

Either attach a monitor and keyboard, or ssh into the host

My bad.

I was using the console on the web interface.

OK, I’ve got this logging in now, what should I be looking for. Everything seems to suggest that I’m only using 5% of the disc.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for, is there a user guide or how-to that’s suitable for beginners that you would recommend so that I can read up on it?