Home Assistant OS as VM on Proxmox - local audio playback

Hi!

I’m running Home Assistant on Home Assistant OS, which is in Proxmox VM. The Promox is installed on FUJITSU MINI Q910 USFF, which somes with 3.5 audio jack output.

I’d like to be able to play any sound, notification and TTS on this machine locally. How can I achieve this?

On HA I installed the VLC addon and VLC-Telnet integration.

On Proxmox I tried adding an Audio Device to the VM - I tried both “ich9-intel-hda” and “AC97”. With the former, the VLC Configuration detected the output of “HDMI Output”, but the AC97 is not there.

How do I even start debugging what’s missing?

1 Like

trying to do the same exact thing. I tryed all three possible audio options and none worked. I used intel-hda and it detected “HDA Intel Analog stereo”, still no audio output…

In general, you need to passthrough host audio device to Proxmox VM. Also, you can try to passthrough you video device with HDMI audio. The success of passthrough depends on your host hardware.

Also, you can try to find Linux-friendly :wink: audio USB dongle and passthrough it to Proxmox VM.

1 Like

Also, you can try to find Linux-friendly :wink: audio USB dongle and passthrough it to Proxmox VM.

Yep, that’s what I went with currently. USB pass-through works OK - the device shows up properly in addons’ configuration.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to properly steer the addons from HA.

For example, with MPD plugin I have to do the following:

• add a “file.mp3” file to /media/mpd/media
  • from MPD’s UI click the “DB Rebuild” button, thus the file.mp3 shows up in it
  • now I’m able to call:
service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_id: file.mp3
  media_content_type: music
target:
  entity_id: media_player.mpd

So basically, I have to tell the addon to play the file that it has in its own file namespace. I’m fully aware that the issue is the mountpoints of addons containers - how can I make HA send the file over to the addon, so it doesn’t need to access it via its own mountpoint?

Also, with this addon, the TTS doesn’t work, and the “Media” UI doesn’t list it as a media player :confused:

I have no clue on how to passthrough audio from host. Are there any tutorials that you would recommend?

You should try to add PCI device responsible for audio output to your VM via PVE GUI (Add: PCI device in Hardware section).

General topic regarding PCI Passthrough: Pci passthrough - Proxmox VE
Proxmox forum also is a good place to find answers: audio passthrough | Proxmox Support Forum

From my experience so far - I had no luck with PCI, however pass-through for a USB device worked with no issues. You can buy a cheap USB sound card, e.g. Unitek Y-247A and use it instead the integrated one.

1 Like

Looking into a USB DAC, since I’d like to get RCA output to connect to an av receiver. Do you think it would work just fine?

If you make sure your DAC has Linux support, it should work with no problems, hardware-wise (making it useful in HA is different can of worms, check my other post to see how I have to deal with it currently)

@shalak
Just wanted to say thank you to you and others in this thread. I recently migrated from my pi to vmware workstation and the increased performance is awesome and was able to get zigbee via usb working as well as my whole home audio amp but I could not get HA to detect my soundcard from my PC (just had 3.5mm audio cable plugged in) for audio notifications. However after reading your comments to use a USB to audio dongle (I happened to have one on hand Amazon.com: SABRENT USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and Play No Drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA) : Electronics
I plugged that in and then plugged my audio cable into my pc from my amp and vmware detected it and now HA is detecting it as an output to select (before it just had dummy default for my soundcard on my motherboard and no sound would play from HA). Anyways just wanted to say thanks and that maybe this will help somebody else!