Home Assistant OS Energy with USB to P1 cable

Hi all,

I purchased a USB to P1 cable for my Landis Gyr E360. And I’m having trouble getting readings into the Energy panel.

I clicked “next” a bunch of times on the Energy wizard hoping to start seeing some sort of reading before I go ahead and add all the pricing data. I’m expecting that some data should show up, but I could be mistaken.

My setup is: Home Assistant OS inside of VirtualBox on a linux box (Mac Mini)

Frankly I’m not sure what next steps would be to get this working, I’ve tried some things here and there but would love some pointers in the right direction.

Cheers,
Justin

You need to set up your energy meter first. Using this integration,

Your meter is not listed as being one of the supported models. So it may or may not work.

Then you are also going to have to pass the USB port through to your VM from the host machine.

Thanks @tom_l, thanks to your advice I was able to get it working.

This is what I did:

I was able to apt-get install ser2net on the host machine, edit the /etc/ser2net.conf file to be:

2001:raw:600:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 NONE 1STOPBIT 8DATABITS XONXOFF LOCAL -RTSCTS

Thanks to Dutch DSMR smart meter with P1 port - Domoticz I was able to figure out which baudrate (115200 in my case) and other config parameters I needed. (This config above works for both DSMR 4 and 5).

I ran sudo ser2net -d -l on the host machine which showed me errors the first time I ran it (turns out ser2net was already running after the apt-get install, and I had to sudo killall ser2net and then sudo ser2net -d -l to get it to pick up my new config).

After that hooking up DSMR Slimme Meter integration was pretty straight forward. I chose ‘network’ when I got the option and then entered the IP address of my host machine and 2001 as the port number (from the first parameter in the /etc/ser2net.conf config file).

Then I was able to go over to the Energy tab configuration and add consumption for my high rate, and low rate, and also add Gas Consumption and (really cool imo) Grid Carbon footprint.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this! Only on my rasberry pi I had to use “sudo ser2net -l”, so without the -d. But this helped me out getting the connection from my HA to my P1 via the Pi.

1 Like