Home Assistant OS on Rpi4, HomeKit - Remote Access

Hi guys,

I have setup my first HASS OS and loving it so far. I have connected up some devices and have it connected to home kit via Apple HomePod as a hub.

Problem I am having is that it works great when my phone is on wifi (same LAN) but when I am out the house, HomeKit doesn’t see any of the Home Assistant accessories. Jump back onto the Wifi and it works great again.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem.
Do you have access to home-assistant outside your local network? Do you have duckDNS configured?

Regards

Hi there,

Yes, I have setup DuckDNS and that seems to be working. I port forwarded 80, 443 and 8123 to the static IP of my Rpi4. I can access the dashboard and the iOS app can connect via that but I still have the issue that Apple Home says all my HASS devices are unavailable when I’m off my WiFi.

I am still going through endless forum posts, if you have any other ideas for me to try, let me know. I will post back here if I figure it out.

I have the exact same problem with one of my home assistant installations.
Do you have your raspberry pi on a subnet?

Do you have this option enabled on your iOS device?

okay so report back:

I wasn’t winning so I decided to do 3 things. Unfortunately, I did them all at the same time so I don’t know what actually solved the issue but I have a suspicion is was Step 2 below:

Step 1 - Clean HASS install

I started fresh since I had made so many changes to my first instance. In my case, I don’t have many devices yet so it wasn’t that big of a task.

Step 2 - Factory Reset Apple Hub

In my case, I have an Apple TV 4K and HomePod both setup to be a Hub. I factory reset both devices and signed back into my iCloud accounts.

Step 3 - Replaced TP-Link Router

This was overkill I think but was going to do it anyway at some point since I love the UniFi range. I replaced my TP-Link with a UniFi Dream Machine which gave me more advanced options for mDNS etc.

Conclusion - start with hard resetting your Apple Hub, I think this was my main issue.