Home Assistant OS Release 5

HASS OS 5.10 was released 6 days ago but I still am only seeing a prompt to update to 5.9 (from HA Core 2020-12.2 running HA OS 5.8).

It has never taken more than a day after production release to get the supervisor OS update notice.

Maybe the versioning file update for 5.10 was missed. Anyone else not seeing a Supervisor prompt to update to HA OS 5 build 10?

Iā€™m on 5.2 and see 5.9. I was able to update from CLI.

ha os update --version=5.10

Maybe it was pulled as at the command line it also shows 5.9 as the latest. Give it a try. I had problems with 5.10 and went back to 5.2.
On github, it shows 5.10

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases

Thanks Bill - I hadnā€™t considered that 5.10 may have been pulled. If so, itā€™s unfortunate that gitub HA OS releases still show it as the latest - especially so if there are problems with it as you experienced.

Thanks for confirming that Iā€™m not alone and that you also see 5.9 update prompt, not 5.10. Iā€™ll sit tight with 5.9. Working just fine for me.

i now have an update prompt for 5.10

better to wait or is everything good to go ?

I see it also. Not working for me. My pi4 on ssd freezes within 3 1/2 hours. No issues so far with 5.2. Maybe Iā€™ll go back to the SD? Not sure as it worked also on 5.9. Maybe 64 bit vs 32. I have no idea what the issue is, several people with logs on github. Hopefully someone can figure out the issue.

Updated to 5.10 on rpi3b 32bits with supervisor 2021.01. Now the system boots but not fully. Recorder is stopped, canā€™t install addons, and core log stops at finish script. Tried restoring a snapshot without success.

[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scriptsā€¦
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scriptsā€¦
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.

Edit : after a clean reinstall to 5.9, I could upgrade to 5.10 without issues.

Proxmov 6.2-12, hassova installed as VM, OS5.10, HA 2021.1.0 on a NUC i5. It has two cores allocated. It was running around ~20-30% before the OS upgrade.

System Health

version: 2021.1.0
installation_type: Home Assistant OS
dev: false
hassio: true
docker: true
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.8.7
os_name: Linux
os_version: 5.4.86
arch: x86_64
timezone: Europe/Copenhagen

GitHub API: ok
Github API Calls Remaining: 4548
Installed Version: 1.9.0
Stage: running
Available Repositories: 779
Installed Repositories: 35

logged_in: true
subscription_expiration: 19. januar 2021 01.00
relayer_connected: true
remote_enabled: true
remote_connected: true
alexa_enabled: false
google_enabled: true
can_reach_cert_server: ok
can_reach_cloud_auth: ok
can_reach_cloud: ok

host_os: Home Assistant OS 5.10
update_channel: stable
supervisor_version: 2020.12.7
docker_version: 19.03.13
disk_total: 146.9 GB
disk_used: 94.9 GB
healthy: true
supported: true
board: ova
supervisor_api: ok
version_api: ok
installed_addons: Node-RED (7.2.11), RPC Shutdown (2.2), AppDaemon 4 (0.3.2), Mosquitto broker (5.1), Terminal & SSH (8.10.0), Visual Studio Code (2.9.1), deCONZ (6.6.2), AdGuard Home (2.6.1), ESPHome (1.15.3), Samba share (9.3.0), InfluxDB (3.7.9), Grafana (5.3.6), Portainer (1.3.0), MariaDB (2.2.1), chrony (1.1.3), Bitwarden RS (0.6.2), WireGuard (0.4.0), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.103.0), TasmoBackup (1.04.02)

dashboards: 5
mode: storage
views: 20
resources: 19

Initially after the upgrade yesterday I had 100% CPU utilization. After more than half an hour it dropped to ~30%, but it is now holding on ~65%, which is quite high, but I think that is due to Google Drive Backup not being finished yet, which is incredible, it has been at it for >6 hours.
Just to make sure that it wasnā€™t something else on the VM, I did a top, and one core is at 100%, the other is at sleep:

how did you do that? wish I had read this before, because Im left with yet again a bricked instance because of updating the OSā€¦

1 Like

@Mariusthvdb Well, I had recent snapshots uploaded to Google drive by using the excellent addon here. So I formatted the sdcard on a pc, reinstalled hassos from scratched, booted, created a new user, installed the gdrive backup addon, restored my last snapshot. Then the day after I re-upgraded to 5.10 and it workedā€¦

Sincerely having the gdrive addon is so useful, now its faster to reinstall from scratch and restore than trying to repair installations.

If your snapshots are not uploaded you can still access the sdcard data on pc or mac by using extfs software from paragon (free trial) to access the ext3 partition where the snapshots are stored. Beware of this app though, it seems to easily corrupt accessed Linux fs in rw.

O yes, I do use that too, was under the impression you had downgraded to 5.9 using the CLIā€¦ sorry for the confusion.

As it turned out, a hard wired reboot pulling the plug helped me out this timeā€¦ Since I could find the instance on the network anymore, and hence it wasnā€™t reachable, I had gathered it to be bricked.

Re-plugging it made it startup again, and on 5.10 now. SO the update to 5.10 had succeed after all, only it wouldnā€™t pass the boot sequence of the PI. Which is still rather a dangerous situation the update process should ideally (well, basically) guardā€¦

Upgrading from 5.9 to 5.10 on my rpi4b 4gb on 32bit also left me in the dark yesterday. Waited for more then 30 min but nothing. So luckily I also had it backed up with the Google drive addon and could restore easily. Its a lifesaver.

On 5.9 again now but did take the opportunity to upgrade to 64 bit image. So far no problems but very hesitant to update to 5.10 now.

After clean install of 5.9 and restoring backup I did try updating again to 5.10. This time it worked flawlessly so you might give it a try also.