Home Assistant Owntone (known as forked-daapd)

Hello, i’m new to HA and this forum and i chose HA because i would like to have a smart home that i can configure only in the browser and don’t need to code so much anymore and has support for the most common smart devices in the market. So far, HA fulfill all my requirements and my smart home works fine.

Unfortunately, when i started working with TTS (Text to speech) i didn’t found any solution where i can configure my home pods and provide a music library to my network. The latest forked-daapd addon i found was not updated since 10 month and even was hard to configure.

Therefore i would like to share with you my new addon, that uses the latest version of owntone (forked-daapd) and is easier to configure and the interface is integrated in HA.

I would like to have feedback if you think this add on is helpfull. More importent, i need some information if chromecast and spotify works with this add on - i don’t have this and couldn’t test it.

Thanks a lot

• to all that will check this add on
  • to all that wrote messages in that forum that helped me already to setup my smart home

Marcel

1 Like

Hi Marcel
thanks a lot for this add-on. I was playing a bit also in combination with the forked-daapd integration. I am trying to get TTS to work. Whenever I am sending a TTS to my homepods the web interface of owntone crashes and I need to restart the add-on to get access to the web interface again. Previously I used forked-daapd in a docker and it crashed similarly after a TTS message. The TTS message i have created over the tile or via script. Both lead to a crash. Also I have not yet figured out, how I send a TTS only to one home pod. Do you have an idea?
Thanks hemy

Hey, thanks for your answer. This AddOn is only a wrapper around owntone. I think this question needs to be ask in their channel → GitHub - linuxserver/docker-daapd

The only issue i discovered during my development was, that if docker runs in the host network mode, owntone was very unstable. This is one reason, why this addon runs normal without any direct network connection. I think there is a problem with multicast in owntone.

Marcel

Hello @a-marcel and thank you for this awesome add-on !

I could get it working playing local sounds and radio streams to the HomePod mini, but not to the Google Nest Hub (chrome cast) : it makes a sound of connection to the Nest Hub but nothing is then played, and I got the following error on the web ui

Also for information, the add-on isn’t reachable from HA dashboard, I must type in the IP of the HA host in order to reach it (eg. http://192.168.X.X:3689)
As for Spotify, I’m having issues setting it up ATM because the http://owntone.local:3689/#/ redirection isn’t working, which is strange because I added it well in dnsmasq and other redirections there are working… Will post here if I find a way to bypass this !

Can’t wait to get it fully setup, and once again a big thanks to you for this awesome portage :slight_smile:

EDIT : just bypassed Spotify issue by replace the owntone.local url by other dnsmasq dns !

Hey @a-marcel,
Thanks again for this great add-on, since my last message I got it working perfectly with my 3 HomePod mini via AirPlay, a real pleasure !
The only issue I’m left with is that I’m unable to take control of owntone via iTunes Remote from the iPhone nor from the Apple Watch… (the pairing shows though)
I’m also unable to stream to Apple Music DAAP client while it should be possible.
As far as I understand, this would be a network related issue but everything here is on the same subnetwork (192.168.1.X), so I assume that it may be related to the add-on bridge mode ? Do you have any clues please ?
Or maybe it is linked to the fact that even by setting in my DNS server an entry for owntone.local the add-on remains unreachable from it ?

How did you do that? I am also stuck on setting up ATM for spotify.
I suppose because “http://owntone.local:3689/#/” is an internal address and spotify can’t get it verified? Any idea to easily solve this?

Can anyone help me, please? Looked everywhere but can’t find how to fix this!

I’m getting the following error and the web interface doesn’t work through ingress:

'[2022-04-09T20:26:30Z WARN libmdns] Failed to register IPv6 receiver: Os { code: 19, kind: Uncategorized, message: "No such device" }

But when I start Owntone directly on the HA machine through docker, I don’t get that error!

Thanks

@a-marcel thank you so much for this, I’ve been using this add-on with my AirPlay devices and it’s been working fantastic for multi-room radio.

The chromecast component was working for me, but it was out of sync with AirPlay 2 devices so I don’t use it.

It looks like the way this is built, updating to the latest version of OwnTone should be pretty simple once GitHub - linuxserver/docker-daapd is updated (internal changes aside)? There’s been quite a few releases since, just wondering if you’ve tried updating to a newer version?

Difficult situation. @a-marcel doesn’t seem to maintain his addon and doesn’t answer suggestions here or on the Github repo. Plus the addon points to an older version of Owntone.
And the HA community addons repo deprecated/removed the Portainer addon. If you have installed owntone via Portainer, HA will mark your installation as ‘unsupported’ since it detects an unofficial container running.

How did you do that? I am also stuck on setting up ATM for spotify.
I suppose because “http://owntone.local:3689/#/ ” is an internal address and spotify can’t get it verified? Any idea to easily solve this?

Have you been able to fix your issue?

Hi I moved over to LMS. So not using Owntone anymore.
You can try to putt the ip address instead of owntone.local.

What is LMS?

LMS

Interesting, might check it out. Do you need the logitech hardware or a seperate PI running an emulator to use this?

Hi, I don’t know if it’s still usefull, but I’ve find a way to get it working.
When you click the spotify “authorize” button in the Owntone setting menu, a new page will load where you need to fill in your spotify account details. When you click ok… it keeps loaded. When you click then the “back” button of your browser, it passes over to the spotify autorization page. Then you need to click “approve” at the bottom of the page. It then loads another wegpage. In the url you will see somewhere owntone.local change this to the local ip address and reload the weg page. Then for me it got approved.

Hoping someone may be able to assist.

My owntone add-on has stopped working. Clicking the add-on “open web ui” link gives me…

502: Bad Gateway

Looking through the logs I see the following fatal errors:

[2023-04-21 15:05:40] [FATAL]    httpd: Websocket init failed
[2023-04-21 15:05:40] [FATAL]     main: HTTPd thread failed to start

Also this is the general log:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: components/forked_daapd/__init__.py:21
First occurred: 15:19:22 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 15:19:22

Error unloading entry iTunes on homeassistant: for forked_daapd
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 539, in async_unload
    result = await component.async_unload_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/forked_daapd/__init__.py", line 21, in async_unload_entry
    hass.data[DOMAIN][entry.entry_id][
KeyError: 'UPDATER'

Anyone have any ideas why its stopped working all of a sudden?

I’ve run in to the same issue, and unfortunately I don’t think @a-marcel is active.

I ended up switching to Logitech Media Server (LMS).

Good to know, I may try it out. I did find the beta works but I’m unable to cast to my devices.