Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

top in message 2 gives the solution to the problem

1 Like

@fredrike Thanks a lot for your efforts to make HASS.io possible on Synology!
Could you please advice me?
I have the following repeating issue with hass.io on Synology 918+. The HA stops answer every time after 7-12 hours of work. At that time the homeassistant and supervisor containers are working. Homeassistant log has no any error or warnings taking precedence of HA hang up. Restart of homeassistant container makes it working again. The same configuration works well non-stop on another instance running on Raspberry Pi 3B+.
I have no idea how to debug or solve this issue. In fact, my home assistant can’t work even for one day.

Firrst of all thank you for this great package! This really simplifies installation.
Unfortunately I experience exactly the same problem as Riesjard (the log file is exactly the same) and Hass.io will not run. Docker works as I am already using it for pi-hole.
What should I do to solve the problem as I want to switch over from Domoticz to Hass.io

Thanks a lot for the support.

I could not fix this issue unfortunately. At this moment I am running the normal Home assistant package on a Docker container.
This also fixed another issue I faced with Hass.io: I could not use the iphone app due to some issue. The error was something like “Invalid client id or redirect url”

Thanks for the feedback. I also installed the normal Home Assistant package on a Docker container. It was rather easy.
Now finally I got my Slide(s) working in a Home automation solution. I couldn’t get them to work in Domoticz running on my NAS.
If the solution proves to be stable then I’ll migrate all Klik-Aan / Klik-Uit (around 10) and Somy RTS Screens (14) switches to Home Assistant and remove Domoticz.

Hi
Is the link in the top message the latest stable version? I’ve seen some other links in the discussion that seem to be test releases?

Regards
Joost

Ok folks, I’ve read through the last few weeks of messages and here are my answers. It looks like most issues can be solved by reading my first two posts in this thread, sorry for the smirkness.

The log shows that you are able to open and connect to the /dev/ttyACM0 port. I’m not sure what else is going on there.

And you are too lazy to read the first two posts in this thread :smirk:

Are you saying that the ssh-addon creates wrong permission files but only when running the Synology package? I could add a note to the #2 post about that…

Thanks! But it appears that “people” are too lazy to read the first two introductional posts and rather spam the forum. (I’ve added the info)

I had that issue in October but it magically went away after some reboots and upgrades…

I really like the phrase “everything stops working” it really encourage and enables people to help. I suggest that you review the configuration from your snapshot and enable integrations in smaller steps… But that might not help with the “everything” issue.

Read the first two posts in this thread…

I don’t have any more suggestions than trying to stop/start the package from the Package Manager, sometimes that helps. It might be an integrations that hangs up the instance, but that sounds super wired.

I suggest that you turn off all other Docker images before starting the installation of hass.io, perhaps pihole is what breaks the installation.

That is too bad. I’m not sure what is going on there. The hassio-supervisor is supposed to pull the latest home-assistant container and start that. If that doesn’t work perhaps removing config.json and restarting the package will work.

Yes, the latest release is the hassio_x64-6.1_20191006-3c5c9bce.spk.

2 Likes

With all due respect, but don’t be an ass about me accidentally overlooking a message or two in this 360 message topic… There was absolutely no need for that comment. Guess you never make any mistakes?

1 Like

Hello Fredrike, thank you for you help. I disabled in Pi-Hole it’s DNS filtering, and now the adds are all over the place again on different test websites, but the same problem exists. Exactly the same log-file is being created. On a second attempt I disabled even de Pi-Hole docker container but this breaks the installation of the Hass.io docker container as I get a error message that the container can’t be found.

Warning: I had already Home Assistant running in a Docker containter. So before installing Hass.IO I disabled that docker container. After my unsuccessful attempt to get Hass.io working in a container, I de-installed the Hass.IO Synology package, which also remove the Hass.IO docker container. Unfortunately somehow the Home Assistant docker container was also removed. I have to re-install it again (including all the specfic docker settings…)

Tip: Fredrike: Your solution, and this topic, is so successful that a lot of people are responding. It now already consists of 367 reactions which makes readability a problem. I think this solution is so popular it deserves an own sub-forum. :slight_smile: . If that is not possible you might consider creating a specific locked installation topic where nobody can comment in and keep up-to-date with latest installation information. A second topic people can asked questions and get answers.

Again thanks a lot for your effort to get Hass.IO running on a Synology NAS.

There is the answer why you can’t install hass.io, you already had a container called homeassistant. I’m sorry for the inconvenience with removing your home-assistant container. If you rename the basic container to something else you can actually run both in parallel (that is what I’ve been doing for the past few months).

Thanks for the suggestion, I would assume that one reads the posts at the top with download link and also see my installation notes, I’m not sure that creating more topics will help against laziness.

Again thank you for your quick reply and helping to solve my installation problem.
On my first attempt to install hass.io I didn’t had home assistant installed and had the same problem.
For now I’ll be keep on using Home Assistant to control my curtains ( slide.store ) and my Harmony Hub. And still use Domoticz to control my KaKu light switches & Somfy RTS-screens as the RFXCom solution seems to be better working in Domoticz than Home Assistant.

Yes, the latest release is the hassio_x64-6.1_20191006-3c5c9bce.spk .

Ok, great, thanks.

Yeah, it looks that way. I’ve filed an issue with the creators of the SSH & Web Terminal add-on: bad key file permissions · Issue #110 · hassio-addons/addon-ssh · GitHub

Has been closed immediately - “Sorry, that system is not a supported method to run Hass.io on.” :pensive:

Hi @fredrike,
thanks again for your contribution!

I have added an additional folder (.ssh) to my homeassistant docker container mounted to /root/.ssh so that I can have some scripts running via ssh directly to some linux boxes securely.

Unfortunately it happens some time the HASIO package to reinstall the containers and I loose my .ssh folder configuration in docker. I had a look and it seems to me the HASSIO is dowloaded from internet, so the Volume configuration is every time restored to the default one.

Do you know if there is a way to make my configuration definitive?

Thanks a and have an happy new year!

I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue on my installation of hassio on my Synology. So I think you just got very unlucky when installed the addon.

Hmmm… I’ve tried several times, it’s 100% reproducible here. And there are some more people reporting the same issue in the Home Assistant Facebook Group. The OP mentioned his Hass.io installation is running on DSM as well:

@fredrike I have your package up and running now! Thanks a lot.

Also installed the package. I still have some issues with an RFXCOM usb device. I’ve installed the serial drivers and the device is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0 but it doesn’t seem to be able to receive any commands.
Could this be related to this package or do I need to troubleshoot elsewhere?

What would be the easiest way, or is it even possible, to set this to log into http://Hassio.local like you can with the standard version?

Steve