Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Hi guys, just spent some hours on getting this all to work.
I had everything working flawless with integrations such as OpenZwave etc.
this morning there was a new update of HA and I updated.
Then I decided to do a fresh reboot of everything but I cant get the add-ons to start.
What do you mean by clearing the logs?
I believe it is not the same as from DSM Docker do a Action -> Clear on the container.

With the container in question stopped, I run this script I found on the internet.

It works very well, check it out.

I like to think of that as partial OCD :smiley:
To be honest I love my logs clean but with HA I’m unable to that whatever way I go.
And yes, I do have same error and it’s (AFAIK) connected to PulseAudio. I did get rid of it by ignoring it in logs.

I may be completely wrong with this, but I think that this is part of the “RPi code” that would enable you to have directly attached mic/speaker for voice prompts and voice control. Never tried it on Synology to be honest as I don’t see point in that. Not with Google minis selling for less then Rpi price (on black Friday).

A new issue has been opened on

1 Like

What version of Docker are you running and what version of DSM?

I’ve noticed some new errors popping up in my logs after recent DSM upgrade and also I have some network issues with host network not available to some containers.

Will have to do fix that was mentioned here

@fredrike @BeardedConti Guys, could you please help me? I tried a lot of variants but nothing really helps.

Hi @Spiritus - can you please elaborate a bit more? What’s not working and what did you try?

I advise to remove the package from synology, remove or temporarily switch off unnecessary packets, restart synology and install hass.io package.
We don’t know your setup, what do you have on synology else. So it is difficult to help. The package works for others. So you need to find whats wrong in your own environment.

1 Like

I deleted all previously installed containers, images and files of HASS.io, rebooted NAS and installed HASS.io from Community Store from the very beginning. The Firewall option is switched off. Hassio network preliminary recreated manually according to the Post #2 (see screenshots). And again all containers are working except Homeassistant, it returns back the following log and Supervisor retries to launch it again:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
[18:53:15] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

Supervisor provides the following log:

20-06-08 15:50:57 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.docker] Docker storage driver btrfs is not supported!
20-06-08 15:50:57 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.docker] Docker logging driver db is not supported!
20-06-08 15:50:57 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unhealthy state. Please update you OS or software!
20-06-08 15:52:12 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.hassos] No Home Assistant Operating System found!
20-06-08 15:55:49 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant] Home Assistant has crashed!
20-06-08 15:55:49 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant] Can't start Home Assistant!

I found also that in case I stop Supervisor container and restart Homeassistant, it starts (of course, with log errors about supervisor connection timeout) well! So, it looks like communication failure between HA and Supervisor.

In my experience, similar to yours, you need to remove and reinstall Docker too.

1 Like

Since this is the Synology topic: I have a question about Synology systems that don’t have an intel chip (my DS418 has a rtd1296 chip, armv8). Is it possible to install this package on my system? If I check the Beta setting, docker doesn’t show up, but it’s probably possible to install it some other way, but even then I don’t know if the native Synology DCM package of hass.io could work on that specific (armv8) version of docker. I don’t find nothing on this subject and don’t know if it is possible at all, could someone help me out on this one?

I had a armv8 syno and I tried 8 months ago to get docker and hassio running. At some point I had to create the package myself to run on docker. There is an old guide somewhere. But in the end it never ended up working.

Sold my armv8 and got a syno that officially supports docker. I had hassio running in about 10mins.

Shout out to @BeardedConti his YT gids helped out alot. The most used application for me is portainer, which I installed seperatly from hassio based on his video.

Shout out @fredrike for creating an awesome package you made atleast my live less “wtf do I have to do now”

On topic
I also get the same errors that’s why I stumbled on this post. For me it seems hassio is running smoothly
Logs

Criticals

20-06-10 02:07:19 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Update of Supervisor fails!
20-06-10 02:07:19 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Docker version 18.09.8 is not supported by Supervisor!
20-06-10 02:07:19 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.docker] Docker storage driver aufs is not supported!
20-06-10 02:07:19 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.docker] Docker logging driver db is not supported!
20-06-10 02:07:19 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unhealthy state. Please update you OS or software!
20-06-10 02:07:19 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Setup Supervisor

Warnings

-06-10 02:07:19 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.systemd] No systemd support on the host. Host control has been disabled.
20-06-10 02:07:19 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.hostname] No hostname support on the host. Hostname functions have been disabled.
20-06-10 02:07:19 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.rauc] Host has no rauc support. OTA updates have been disabled.
20-06-10 02:07:19 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.nmi_dns] No DnsManager support on the host. Local DNS functions have been disabled.

Should I be worried?

1 Like

I’m curious what are you using portainer for? I’ve installed it but couldn’t find a good reason for it being there so ended up removing it. Guessing it gives you additional controls that you cannot get direct in docker?

Hi @mmcr, Did you figure out how to get the docker containers to use the second iot vlan network? I’m reading alot and I haven’t found a clean or successful way to do it.

Has anyone else here managed to have the HA docker containers site in another physical interface?

Thanks
Ezekiel

Thank you Takumi!!! :blush:

BTW - I’m not sure I can help you with those questions. I also do get those errors, but I didn’t see any impact on my environment. Everything just works… :smiley:

1 Like

thanks for the info Takumi, now I know at least that it’s not possible :upside_down_face:

You can’t compare Docker GUI with Portainer- that’s like HA Core vs hassio version. BUT even if you don’t want to use some of the extra features available in portainer, what you can do with it is embed in HA (iFrame) and have it there to see what’s up with containers, clean old images, restart something etc. Using it just to inspect logs is worth installing it.

Docker GUI needs DSM loaded - and for day to day work, you shouldn’t open DSM.

3 Likes

I’m using binding to get more throughput - so can’t help you with that - sorry.

@Ezekiel no I haven’t really had time to play with it
I suspect I’d need to shut down the hass package, then try making the new network and attach the relevant hass containers to it before starting them ?

My default hass installation is connected to 3 networks:
‘bridge’ - hassio_supervisor
‘hassio’ - a bridge with a different subnet to above; hassio_supervisor, hassio_audio, hassio_cli, and all the add-ons
‘host’ - hassio_multicast and homeassistant

I’m guessing we’d need to create a new network (eg ‘IoT’) which is on the second physical interface, and then perhaps just connect hassio_multicast and homeassistant packages to it ?

I’m a starter so I crash hassio alot. And if it’s down it’s nice to have a place to see what the frek is going on. Hassio logs or nice when it’s up.
Also way easier to reboot seperate containers and monitor what’s happening step by step while it’s happening. Also when adding stuff or changing stuff in hassio I have it open so I see in hassio what’s happening.