Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

That is normal - I see the same 0 downloads and I know there are more since I’ve installed it myself on 3 machines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you post here what you get in Docker logs, or what containers you see in Docker after you install the package?

Thanks!
Well actually no containers show up in Docker, nothing in the logs…however the CPU load goes from 1-2% to +50% after trying to install hass.io…so it get stuck somwhere i guess.

Perhaps my issue is not related to hass.io?
Just to see if i can add other applications to Docker I tried your portainer installation video that worked just fine before…now i get this message…

Oh dear, found it. I was playing around with the Adguard in HA the other week. Did not work out as expected and did uninstall it…however i forgot to remove the Synology DNS that i manually entered. This was probably the reason why hassio started to act pretty strange lately, not able to update etc… :slight_smile:
Removing it now and installation works as expected!!
I.e. BT, thanks for the support and i’m fine right now!
Cheers

1 Like

Great that you got it working :wink:
BTW, next time you have issues, don’t remove hass.io folder. That way you’ll keep your configuration.

1 Like

Yes, i actually only moved the hass.io folder, tried everything. I also back up snapshot to google so i’m pretty safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all,

Greetings, I’m a newbie on Home Assistant, a Synology DS916+ user, and this is my 1st post on this community.

@fredrike first of all let me thank you for your magnificent work and patience needed for creating this native package.

There’s a lot of people complaining this and that isn’t working, but I believe more people have it working fine and just don’t care to write a few lines to say “thank you”, which I think all of us should say out loud.

I have just finished fine tuning and dealing with the log errors and I think I have all containers running ok now, base install with just Chromecast, Plex and few other minor integrations.

My idea is to let it run for some days to judge the stability of it, and see if it can be trusted to start running more hardware, which in my case will mean buying hardware such as Z-Wave controller, etc.

This being said, when I look at my docker status, I see some containers have been running for more time than others:

Is this normal, i.e. do containers/modules self-reboot from time to time when in normal status, or do they only restart when they find themselves in unrecoverable situations?

As previously said, I need to ascertain if the system is stable enough before committing to spend a small fortune on hardware for it to control, so for me this is an important point.

TIA,
-jprates

I can not tell you 100% for sure, but I see this behaviour myself on few of my setups. And it doesn’t have any kind of production performance. Never was around at the time to check logs, and can’t find any crittical error that would trigger this.
For ex:

And this:

Did you experience any other problem at that time?

Thanks for your prompt feedback @BeardedConti, and congrats on your Youtube channel by the way!

No, I have not seen anything clearly wrong with the install, but like I said, it’s basically running on vapor, no load yet, just basic Chromecast and Plex Media server integrations doing nothing at present time, little more than that.

I’ll take your answer as a “all should be fine” for now, and keep an eye on it.
To prevent creating confusions from previous manual restarts to fix log errors I just stopped all containers and cleared the logs, and will let it run for a couple of days to see how it behaves.

I used this sequence which seemed the best to restart all with cleared logs:

1. Stop HA from HA server_control GUI page;
  2. Stop Hass.io from DSM Package Center;
  3. Stop remaining docker containers from DSM Docker;
  4. Wait for all containers to stop, and use ssh to clear their logs;
  5. Double check all logs are cleared for each container from DSM Docker container details;
  6. Start Hass.io from DSM Package Center;
  7. Confirm all containers are started in DSM Docker.

I hope the sequence above is correct, all is working fine now, let’s give it a couple of days.

Cheers,
-jprates

1 Like

I’ve enabled beta in Package Center settings but a search for Hass.io returns No match found. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Hi, how do I add shared data locations for plex? I cannot find any documentation

1 Like

Did you add the Syno Community source on Package Center settings?

As @jprates said, make sure you’ve added community repository.

Please note that sometimes it takes a few tries to pull all available packages from Community store.
Also, there were some problems with repository and this should have been fixed last weekend - it was done or unavailable for few days and also had few hiccups.

I have to test something when I get home, but this way should be OK too.
Normally, you don’t need to do anything except graceful shutdown of Home Assistant and stopping Supervisor (by using “stop package” as you said).

If everything is working correctly, that should be it. But you did notice right that some containers keep running.

And this is the part what I should test. Add-ons are thsoe that always run and are not restarted after supervisor restarts. Other containers (such as multi-case dns, …) should at least restart after Supervisor is restarted.
Then again, I may be completely wrong :smiley:

Ok a couple of hours later its showed up (had synocommunity in locations), has different icon:

Edit, when I hit Install the icon updates:

Guys, I need your help.
I make clear install of Hassio on Synology, all containers start working except Homeassistant. It tries to start again and again with the same error log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
[17:58:58] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 1.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

I can’t understand what could be the reason of udev.sh: exited 1. Any ideas?

I just realized something (that have been discussed before). Stopping the hass.io package doesn’t stop the addon containers. So let’s have a poll on what you think will happen if the package is stopped.

• Yes, stopping the supervisor should also stop all addons.
  • No, the addons should continue to run.

0 voters

I might work on a new version in the near future so if you have other suggestions please let me know.

If you look at add-on configuration, there is “start-on boot” option.
That gives me feeling add-on’s should be down when supervisor is starting.

I’ve noticed that some add-on’s work OK even if you leave then running while supervisor is down, while others may require you to restart them.

1 Like

Hi,

Has anyone figured out if this error:

shared memfd open() failed: Function not implemented

is a Docker related error, Synology DSM related, or HA (PulseAudio) related?

My logs are so clean now, running solid as a rock and smothly, all but for this one error.
I’d like to get rid of it, has anyone succeed in this task already that can share some info?

I’ve done just everything you suggested but can’t start homeassistant container. Supervisor tries to start HA but repeatedly gets the same error:

[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: executing... 
[17:40:55] INFO: Update udev information
[cont-init.d] udev.sh: exited 1.

Supervisor’s log:

WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home Assistant Docker!
INFO (SyncWorker_13) [supervisor.docker.interface] Start homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant
ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant] Home Assistant has crashed!
ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog Home Assistant reanimation fails!

My Hass.io have been working for a very long time with no any issue but now I decided to make clear new installation and can’t do it.
I would highly appreciate for your help. Has no idea what could be the reason.
P.S. In case I run HA Core, it works well.