Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Did you try workaround that is mentioned above? Using spk file from dropbox link?
Or using x86_64 spk from SynoCommunity site.

Well I read in another post that removing the USB and reinstalling it has worked for others so I tried it a second time and then rebooted HA and it found the path this time. Not sure what caused it but I’m glad its fixed… Thanks for offering help BeardedConti. Your videos helped me with this setup a lot as well! Keep up the good work.
-Skilly

1 Like

Do you have Beta enabled? I seem to recall you need to change the settings in Package Center to allow beta.

Yes that is correct. Instead of trying something that is not supported natively, I will Change it for DS220+. Will follow your your Youtube tutorial, it is well done! Thank you

Hi everyone,
I didn’t yet install the package but checked the whole thread for information about the difference between the “not beta” community package “Home Assistant” from ymartin59 and the beta package “hass.io” from fredrike obviously talked about in this thread.
Does anyone know, why there are two projects?
Best regards!

I know…
Just kidding - here is full answer. If you look more closely, you will see that Home Assistant is version 0.87.1 (if I read corrctlly)

You will not get very far with it.

And beta version will run latest hass.io.

1 Like

Hi BeardedConti,
yes, I checked the entries in the syno community too. The Version name “0.114.2-7” of the package confused me quite a bit, as that seems to be a quite new version of HA. the comment doesn’t match, though. And ymartin just changed the FAQ for that plugin 4 days ago…
Anyway, thanks for the answer - I just installed the beta version and started migrating my stuff.
And thanks fredrike for the flawless native synology package - worked really well for me.

I have to correct myself - yes, it has been updated - it’s on 0.114.2. Latest commit was 13 days ago.

I am having a similar problem, but in reverse. After a reboot, my Z2M connection is just fine but my Z-stick can’t be found. It appears fine in the Supervisor’s hardware listing, but for some reason can’t communicate with HA. Changing the path two and from the /by-id/ listing doesn’t work. Error log reports the stick can’t be found, and the OZW log says the driver is missing.

I’d like to clarify your solution - did you just remove the stick and reboot HA a few times? Or remove the integration and start from scratch with configuration? So far the former of those two choices hasn’t worked for me, which is baffling because nothing changed before/after reboot.

Cheers in advance.

edit:

More info.

The specific error I get is

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_USBDevice_ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffad-if00 : ['NoneType: None\\n']"

What is the difference in the hassio package and the home assistant package in synocommunity repo?

Well it looks like my USB ZHA “fix” was a fluke. I have a second system running on the same setup and have been unable to get it to work. Interestingly this setup was running ZWave and Zigbee integrations well my first setup was on Open Zwave and I only had the problem with ZHA. Now I was able to fix the Zwave on this system by moving to Open Zwave but the ZHA integration will not find the USB no matter what I do. So I thinking maybe the fix put in last year to link the USB drivers may have some kind of problem in it that causes it only to work at the supervisor level. I wish I had the skills to follow my nose but I don’t. Is anyone able to look into this issue for us?

The hassio package will only run on a Synology system that supports Docker.

The home assistant package in synocommunity repo is just the core HA that should run on most any model.

There is now Python 3.7.7 that supports Home-Assistant. I installed the HA package on my armhf DS414. This seems to be a good option for someone who wants a simple HA implementation.

FYI: This package is not working yet with DSM 7.0 !

Hey Skilly, I’m still having the same problems (USB dongle not working)

Further info:

• I have two USB dongles plugged into my NAS, an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5, and a CC2531 zigbee sniffer.
  • Up until last week, both worked fine. They’d been fine for over a year. Both are connected to HA “by-id” so I’ve never had problems with HA locating the devices after restarts until now.
  • But after a full restart of my NAS last week, the Z-stick stopped working and the CC2531 still works fine. I’ve confirmed that both are still visible in the “Hardware” page in the HA Supervisor, just as before.
  • I’ve done multiple restarts of both HA and the NAS hoping something would shake loose, and tried switching the USB ports they’re plugged into as well as trying to boot with only one or the other dongle plugged in. The CC2531 never misses a beat; the Z-stick fails every time.
  • I factory reset the dongle and removed the Z-wave integration from HA entirely. When trying to re-add it, it tells me the dongle can’t be found, suggesting it’s not plugged in. It gives me the same error with both the old OZW integration AND the new Zwave beta.
  • My next thought was ‘OK, this is a dead dongle’ - but it works just fine when plugged into a spare raspberry pi I have lying around.

I’ve done a load of troubleshooting with @firstof9 and other folks well-versed with z-wave and their conclusion is this isn’t a problem with z-wave, but more likely something to do with the container.

Next steps I’d like to try taking:

• Uninstall and re-install the drivers linked above (is this possible?)
  • Backup HA and start from scratch with a brand new container
  • Any suggestions here?

I obviously want to avoid the start from scratch option if I can, so really welcome your input!

Check your release notes. Synology is not allowing any community package on DSM 7.0.

1 Like

yrmartin refers to running HomeAssistant Core natively, this package runs HomeAssistant (with supervisor support).

Isn’t that pre-release version of DMS?

You can check with SynoCommunity issue tracker current status of all non Synology packages:

Hello again, we spoke a while back via Youtube and you helped me out in a fantastic way. I consider myself still a starter with HA but I had a few coo features going and it worked beautifully until yesterday evening.
Today is a different day however. Today is pure horror.

I cannot acces HA on any client I’m using. It fails to connect. I am receiving the famous:
Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.

The Docker container hassio_supervisor keeps switching on and off like crazy. I think I updated Supervisor yesterday. I don’t even know which version I have now but maybe that is the problem.

I have read a lot of post on here (including the IP reconfiguration) but I have no idea what works, what doesn’t or even what applies to my situation.Besides some of the steps seem to be a bit above my head so to speak.

The only light in the tunnel for me is that I have a snapshot from a few days old. But since I can’t get in HA, I don’t know if there is another way to install it. Plus, I have no idea if or when the same problem will show up again.

Basically, I need some step by step help, preferably on sesamestreet level?

I am using a DS218+ version 6.2.3-25426

1 Like

Hey @Jan_the_Man - did you try most common fix to supervisor problems?
In package center, try to stop package.
You can check via Docker when hassio_supervisor and homeassistant containers have stopped. Then just restart it from package center.
It should try to resync everything between containers. It’s normal for that to stop also hassio_multicast container and hassio_dns (I think).

But just to verify, you can’t open Home Assistant or Supervisor panel?

Can you also try and have a look in Sueprvisor logs, after you restarted it, if it continues to keep restarting.

For recovery, if this fails, you always have option to remove package and then reinstall it - all configuration files should remain, but you may need to reinstall add-ons.

And last resort is full recovery - you remove/uninstall package and delete hass.io folder where all other configurations are located. Just make sure you have local copy of the snapshot (they are located in hass.io/backup folder).
Then reinstall, and when you get back in HA - go to supervisor and load snapshot.

Wow you are fast, thank you!
I have tried to stop and restart Hass-io in package centre. In Docker hassio_supervisor and homeassistant containers stop. But after restaring it, the hassio_supervisor switches on and off severral times per minute.

True, I can’t open HA. Well it opens, but it isn’t loading and it says that it can’t connect, reconnect, that kinda messages. And because it doesn’t load, there is no supervisor panel either.

By removing package (not the full recovery) you mean uninstall Hassio and reinstall? Or juest delete the Docker containers?

UPDATE: HA opens again, I didn’t do anything. I found out later in the logs there was a corrupt integration that prevented HA from opening (Afvalwijzer). It was a project I was working on. Since I have no Supervior I managed to delete the files and adjust the Yaml file directely on the DSM.
After that things started to look a bit normal again in HA.

One major issue remains: still no Supervisor (so also no Yaml editor etc). And the docker container hassio_supervisor is stil starting and stopping like a maniac.
Any ideas how to continue? Without Supervisor I can’t use the Snapshot file, right? In the Docker, I saw an import/export function. Would that be way to go perhaps?