Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Is there a good way to uninstall the USB drivers linked at the top? Im about to start from scratch with this package due to ongoing USB issues and want to truly start from scratch to rule out any possibility.

The FIle Editor (if that’s YAML editor that yo mentioned) should work just fine without supervisor.
But if it’s not working, then, this could be DNS problem.

Can you try once again to stop package from package center.
When it stops and homeassistant too, the please by hand try to stop other docker containers related to Home Assistant (Multicas, dns, cli, add-ons,…).
After all of them are stopped, just restart the package.

And, what version of HA are you running? Event if there is some bad integration, HA should skip it or start in safe mode at least…
Can you paste log from Supervisor when it restarts? You should be able to access it from Docker app.

You can try using rmmod instead of insmod to remove them.

sudo rmmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko
sudo rmmod /lib/modules/ftdi_sio.ko

This could do the trick…

BTW - out of curiosity, what Synology device are you running and for what USB stick you needed support? Just asking since I never needed those drivers for cc2531.

@BeardedConti It’s my Aeotec Z stick that has just stopped working altogether, but works fine with my raspberry Pi (so confirmed the stick isn’t the problem)

Ive made a couple posts over the past week about it here and haven’t been able to find a solution, so now my last resort is starting from scratch.

I have tried what you suggested (handstopping all the containers and restart the package and the containers) but it didn’t work.
Still the same starting and stopping of hassio-supervisor container.

It is correct, I am using File Editor as YAML editor. Ususally it shows up in the left bar. Now it’s not. Clciking Supervisor still gives Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.

I am running Home Assistant 0.114.4. The log from Supervisor Docker shows an error in it, see below.

Not that log - this is Docker log.
In Docker, go to container tab, double-click on hassio_supervisor, and there go to log tab:

Sorry for that, my bad.
The log file is big, When I export to HTML is 34MB. I made a few screenshots of the first 3 pages. But it goes on and on.
I am open for a team viewer session though.

Wow, really nice error. Can I ask you, what version of Synology device you have?
One of the errors is bothering me - supervisor.bootstrap - Can’t find Docker socket.

Without conection to Docker socket, Supervisor can’t control other docker containers and check statuses of the them, run them stop them etc.

Without figuring why this is happening, this could be an issue.

So please give me info on Synology model you are running this one, woth version of DSM you have on, and also Docker package, what is the version. Could be one of them is too old.

And one final question, did you try to restart Synology?

BTW - chech this - looks like same error that got fixed after few restarts of Supervisor (stop/start package):

And this was original error:

Yes I restarted Synology several times.
It is a Synology DS218+
DSM version 6.2.3-25426 update 2
Docker version 18.09.0-0513
I think it’s pretty much up to date?

UPDATE UPDATE
Bearded, you are an HERO, I forced stopped the hassio_supervisor container several times and gues what: suddenly it stayed on! After opening HA, the Supervisor was back online and also the YAML configurator. Looks like it’s all back to normal now. Incredible, I’m so happy. Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Everything looks as it should be… Do you have some other Docker containers that could mess things up - such as Watchtower (although, restarting hass.io package should fix that)?

Is your user in Synology member of administrator group?

Can you check this file if it exists via terminal:
/var/run/docker.sock

Bearded, you are an HERO, I forced stopped the hassio_supervisor container several times and gues what: suddenly it stayed on! After opening HA, the Supervisor was back online and also the YAML configurator. Looks like it’s all back to normal now. Incredible, I’m so happy. Thank you so much for your help and patience!

2 Likes

That’s great! Nice you got it working!!!

I tested the Hass.io version on my synology and found out that:

• i received the error “/api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js” restarting the the Supervisor does nothing 90% of the times, only after reinstalling hassio the problem is solved
  • half of the containers are always stopped
  • it crashed my NAS many times, it could be after 4 days or 4 minutes.

after loosing many hours with this i installed the vm version on virtualbox and it’s running fine for 2 weeks, the downside is that consumes about 2GB of RAM, after comparing the speed of the hassio container with the vm version, the vm is faster much faster.

I run homeassistant on a container for about 2 years with 0 problems, this version of hassio its very problematic and unstable compared to that.

1 Like

Just for information, I updated my system to the new pre-release. It’s true, that community packages cannot be run.
However installing the Hass.io package first, making sure everything runs, then updating DSM and manually starting the docker containers worked for me. I once had the supervisor error which could be solved by restarting the container.
I guess I won’t be able to update the package until the pre-release allows it, though.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback @back0nline … Just out of curiosity - what model of Synology are you running this on? And did you by any chance install extra RAM in it or replace original with different?

Asking that because in 5 years of having this model and track record of other models before, I never ever managed to crash NAS. I was careful, but I did install some shady stuff on them too.

In regard to your errors, first one you got is something that people sometimes experience. It can be mitigated by stopping package and restarting it. Usually one restart solves but sometimes people need to do that few times.

What containers are stopped? Don’t understand second one? Did you tick box to start them on system boot in Supervisor?

Nevertheless it’s great that there is option and CORE should work fine as is.

That’s great that you managed to get it running because I see a lot of people unable to start it even when installed (not hassio but other SynoCommunity packages).

The question now is if and when Synology will release documentation and allow non Synology packages to be built and run.

Evening all

Just rebuilt my NAS 920+ after upgrading and adding some more ram [ 20GB ]

Anyway I cant find the native SPK file to install Hass.io can someone please share a link

Many thanks

1 Like

DS918+ running 20191224-1 of this and have an odd message in Supervisor.

As a preface, the system has worked great since install. Occasional need to restart. Yesterday I noticed the garage doors (MyQ) weren’t working. In the past, this meant a HA version need to be updated (cat and mouse game with API). Went into Supervisor to see if there was an update and saw this under the System tab:
Version: 243
Newest version 243
Channel stable

You are running an unsupported installation. Learn More

Never seen that before…

Reboot hasn’t helped.

System seems okay otherwise. Any ideas?

Same error here on DS218+