Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Works perfect and no more BETA tag!

1 Like

What’s the link to your recording? Would like to add it to the first post.

This one? https://youtu.be/QdBYUbj0B5Q
I’ll pin the post.

Any suggestions on backing up before moving from beta 20191224-1 to current 20200910-2? I went into Supervisor and created a snapshot and downloaded it to my iMac. Anything else to do as a ‘just in case’ measure?

That should be enough, but as a matter of fact, you don’t even need back up.
This upgrade is not touching your HA installation, this upgrade is just new SPK script for installing Supervisor. And it’s not directly related to any specific Hass.io version.

Then again, having regular backup is always a good thing.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m all for redundant backups. Currently have backups of the Docker folder and Hassio ones onto external on the Synology :wink:

Update was quick and very painless

1 Like

Apologies if this question has been asked before but is there a migration guide for moving to the Hass.io package on Synology?

I am currently running Docker with the usual suspects of other support containers but am worried about how long it would take me to move everything across. Presumably all the Integrations I now have installed would need setting up again from scratch. I am particularly concerned about my Zwave devices (which still use the original Zwave Integration not OZW) as I have several dimmers behind wall plates that I would need to take out and move near to my Aeotech USB stick for repairing. I am assuming that anything configured through the front end like Helpers (which I have a bunch of) would all need to be recreated manually.

Then there is HACS, I guess I would need to create a list of everything I have currently installed then re-install this under Hass.io otherwise my lovelace config will not work if I move it across.

Has anyone had any luck trying to migrate any of the /config sub-folders across like .storage? If so then ar there any elements that should be avoided?

Thanks!

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of, but it’s very simple and I did it few times.

First of all, when you get from Docker HA to hass.io, you can still keep using same separate containers that you created before. No need to migrate everything (or even ever) all of them at the same time.

I run for about month only HA and only migrated VSCode to add-on. And even today, I still have some separate containers.
In order to move from Container to hassio, you need to install package, run it for the first time, and then stop it.

Use File Station in Synology to copy everything (including hidden folders) from Home Assistant configuration folder, to hassio/homeassistant folder.
If you have SSL certificates, they will need to go to /hassio/ssl folder. You will need to edit path to SSL of course - it should be now /ssl/

I think this was it.

Make sure that you don’t run at the same time HA and hassio as they use same port. And also if you run Watchtower - stop it and configure it to only update containers that are not managed with SPK/add-ons.

Good to hear, I’ve not dared to migrate to HomeAssistant myself. Are running HomeAssistant Core in Docker and are using this package for testing of new features (and managing of some Addons). I’m still running Grafana and InfluxDB as plain Docker containers instead of HA-addons. Will see if I dare to do the move…

2 Likes

Thanks BT, from what you say it should be quite easy and if if things go wrong then its is easy to revert back. The key step that I was missing was to stop Hass.io after installation, then copy the HA config file structure over before restarting it. I’m don’t use SSL certs so don’t need to worry about that.

The other thing I guess is to make sure that the version of HA in the Hass.io package matches the HA Core version.

Cheers!

1 Like

I know how you feel :slight_smile:
Was scared of loosing my setup, but process was very quickly done.
Until about a month ago I still had Zigbee2MQTT as container, now it’s also addon. Last was moving MQTT, and it also went very well and easy.

But InfulxDB, Grafana, Portainer and NodeRed are still in separate containers. And will probably stay there.

That’s true, just to be on the safe side. So make sure your HA Code (Docker) is updated to the last version.

Tried to do my first setup on a Syno 412+ with 4GB RAM today.
Did a step by step installation according the yt tutorial. Added Synology Community as valid source. Docker was not installed, the system installes docker and all seems to be installed fine, i opened it and got the information to wait until the system is up and after a few minutes i got the screen to create a user.
Now the Problems began. Whatever i tried, the System was not able to create a user. So i rebooted the Syno, but whitout any luck. In the Docker overview i recognized the homassistant docker was unable to start, log tells me:
“Start container homeassistant failed: {“message”:“Bind mount failed: ‘/volume1/home-assistant/hass.io/tmp/homeassistant_pulse’ does not exists”}.”
Looked inside the temp folder, folder does not exist. tried to create the folder, no luck, another error comes up. So uninstalled again, selected to remove the dockers also, deleted all files inside the share, reboot, next try to install. No Luck, same issues. Again uninstall with removal of all files and dockers. Now i installed the older package Version 20191224-1 Date 2020-01-26 14:05:46.717836 manually from https://synocommunity.com/package/hassio#
This time with success. All fine, i was able to setup my user and do the first settings. Rebooted the NAS, after reboot still all fine and working. Now tried to update this version to Version 20200910-2. package manager refuses, update not possible as it is not a supported synology package. I did a backup of the files in the shared folder with file station and uninstalled Version 20191224-1 without undeleting any file. Then installed the Community Package Version 20200910-2 from package center.
All went fine and also after a reboot the system is up and working fine, no data loss, no issues.
So i think there is an issue in hass.io community package Version 20200910-2 which will not be able to run the first setup, users can not be created and after reboot the homeassistant container will not start anymore.

Are you sure you’ve enabled non Synology packages?
Look at post #954 - Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm) - #954 by grzeg8102

And welcome to the community @rmayergfx!

Ok. seems the update issue was caused by missing Trust Level

Still problems with this release. e.g. unable to find vu+ devices on the network. Tried to add them manually in configuration.yaml from this tutorialenigma2 but get errors on reboot and devices are not found.

media_player:

• platform: enigma2
    host: 10.10.10.10
    username: root
    password: pass
    name: live1

host: 10.10.10.11
    username: root
    password: pass
    name: live2

can´t see any of this 2 devices.

EDIT: Forgot to say - this is not directly related to this topic, so opening new is recommended!

Please post code using

code

markup. Without that we can’t tell you if this is formatting issue or not. And if you have errors at reboot, posting them could help.
And is this same subnet as your Synology or not?

Hass.io package upgrade worked, though I have one comment:

After the update, all the Add-Ons are gone from the sidebar. Had to toggle the slider show in sidebar twice for every Add-On to bring those back.
But not a big deal at all.

Hi all, first of all many thanks for all your hard work here.
I did an upgrade of the hass.io package to version 20200910-2.
However I get an error in the docker log:
Start container hassio_observer failed: {“message”:“driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint hassio_observer (f918be06a82cf187e7966e83eee12662bb906474c7cf611e6be9d11d40def09a): Bind for 0.0.0.0:4357 failed: port is already allocated”}
All containers are up and running, except for hassio_observer. And I’m not able to start it manually.
I can acces my Home Assistant, except I can’t open the Supervisor sidebar. It gives an error “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.”
Any idea wat could be wrong?