Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

My first option for any errors with containers is to restart the whole Synology. Maybe it is too match. However, it helps in almost all cases.

Check if you have something else already on port 4357. MAybe I’m wrong but it looks like there is something else already published on port 4357 and that’s why you can’t use it. And this would definitely be a reason for fail.

Never seen problem like that. Just out of curiosity, did you try Ctrl+F5 before toggling switches?
If you had to do it twice, then they really were on, but HA wasn’t showing them.

I had the same issues, and could only solve it by deinstalling the package and reinstalling it on the Synology.

You had same error with

port is alreay allocated

or

Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.

Second one can show up on first start/upgrade, but starting/stopping package normally resolves that.

Both of them. I checked the port and also restarted the Synology. Nothing worked except reinstalling the package.
After that HA came up with no problems and all settings, as it was before.

1 Like

I first tried a reboot of my synology. But that didn’t do the trick :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
All containers are working as normal again (no more hassio_observer failing with the port allocation) … however I still get the “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.” when opening the “Supervisor” sidebar.

I also removed the package and reinstalled it. But I still get the “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js.”.

@Fugazzy when you reinstalled the package, I suppose you first removed it. Did you then also remove the addon containers? This message it asked me, but I didn’t remove them. Maybe that will do the trick?

edit: that also didn’t work. And now all my addons are not working anymore …
strange thing is … I assumed that when you remove the package (including all addon containers) and then you reinstall it again, that you had a new installation from scratch. But it seems that all settings are still there … however nothing is working anymore …

Within the docker hassio_supervisor logs I see the following:

• CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!
  • CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unhealthy state and need manual intervention!
  • ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.api.security] Invalid token for access /discovery

Anyone has an idea? :slight_smile:

Correct, I deinstalled the package, without removing the containers. And then I reinstalled ist. Since then everything works fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
I can’t find anything else on port 4357. Any idea how I can troubleshoot to see what is also using this port? Can I manually change the port off the hassio_observer somewhere?
I tried everything … reinstall … reboot nas, …

HA seems to works except for the “supervisor” tab which is not available and still gives the “Unable to load the panel source: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js” error.

This is an error in the supervisor docker log:

2020-09-30 11:37:17 stderr e[31m20-09-30 11:37:17 ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [supervisor.docker] Can’t start hassio_observer: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (“driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint hassio_observer (5c5a2247f79c21ae74e03c2f6c069ae4d200b4b1ec9c4645e3fb941b183143ca): Bind for 0.0.0.0:4357 failed: port is already allocated”)e[0m
2020-09-30 11:37:13 stderr e[32m20-09-30 11:37:13 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [supervisor.docker.interface] Clean hassio_observer applicatione[0m
2020-09-30 11:37:13 stderr e[32m20-09-30 11:37:13 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.observer] Start observer plugine[0m
2020-09-30 11:37:13 stderr e[33m20-09-30 11:37:13 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with observer plugin!e[0m
2020-09-30 11:36:19 stdout

Hello,

Looking for some help. I’ve been trying to install this on a DS218+ running surveillance station. I’ve been able to install it and run the network fix using SSH as mentioned in post 2, which is where the errors start.

I either can’t open Supervisor (blank screen), or I am getting an the timeout error (also mentioned in post 2). I’ve tried:

1. the fix as listed, no success
  2. rebooted the synology, no success
  3. uninstalling and reinstalling the package, no success
  4. removing everything including docker, no success

Any assistance would be great.

hi there, I had the exact same problem and fixed it with ‘force stop’ the supervisor container in Docker.
(action > force stop)

edit: after some changes in my config it happened again, and then it took me 2 or 3 times > I think the timing is important here (not sure): Immediately when it starts up again I did the ‘force stop’ again. now i got it running for a month without issues.

I have noticed one problem. During Synology reboot, the Home Assistant add-ons assigned to the bar disappear. Is this related to the loading sequence of the docker containers? Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Another thing I have noticed. Some addons like zigbee2mqtt are dependent on other addons like mosqitto. It happens that addons like zigbee2mqtt try to connect with mqtt when it has not yet ready - as a result there is an infection in the logs:

Zigbee2MQTT:error 2020-10-04 14:45:16: Not connected to MQTT server!

I ended up working around the issue. I’ve disabled surveillance station and am going to use the motionsense package to record my wyze IP cameras instead.

Now I just need to get ha to recognize my DiskStation as a media cloud and figure out why mqtt won’t configure properly and I’m good to go.

Has anyone been able to get HACS working with this setup? I am not sure where to copy the files to as there is no config folder.

Sure, it works great. It’s same folder as it would be in Docker version - folder where your configuration.yaml file is (and other yaml files).

Even when rebooting, I didn’t see this issue. By the time homeassistant is up, all other containers are already up.
In regard to MQTT, don’t remember 100% but I think I never had this issue. It was always up when other containers needed it.
How often do you reboot Synology? Maybe I didn’t notice it because mine usually is up for long periods.

Those errors are normal, you can search thread for them - this was answered few times before.

Removing package with or without add-ons will keep all your settings, as they are not in same location. Docker container has access to your drives and your local drive keeps all configuration files.

If you want to start from scratch, you need to completely remove hass.io folder with all subfolders.

I’ve been using this package for months and its been working great so thank you @fredrike !

One thing I do notice is that it takes AGES to start Hassio - I had a power cut the other night and it took ~35 mins from when the Synology was booted, for the Supervisor/Hass/Addons to start.
Supervisor seems to start then really slowly fire up all the other containers, during the time I see no real resource usage on the synology.
I have a small handful of addons (6) and my Synology is running an i5-4590 with 16GB RAM, so is no slouch.

I also see slow restart of HASS when I use the HA server controls (takes up to 10 minutes to restart) - sometimes when it comes back it reports that some of the built in components (like history) didn’t start.
I’ve tried to remove the HA database to purge the history data it needs to load (not that it would cause the first issue i’m seeing), but it didn’t help.

Anyone else get anything like this?

2 Likes

Synology or Xpenology?

Xpenology - It’s emulating DS918+