Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

Sorry to spam this thread, but I’m not able to do snapshots on the supervisor.
Anyone had this problem?

20-12-27 22:16:51 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:53 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:54 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:55 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:56 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:56 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:57 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:16:57 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:17:00 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:17:01 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:17:02 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:17:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running
20-12-27 22:17:04 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'SnapshotManager.do_snapshot_full' blocked from execution, system is not running

Fairly sure snapshot not working is related to one of the known issues detailed in post 2 in this thread, workaround is:

{"ignore_conditions": ["healthy"]}

See second post for full details.

1 Like

I understand that, but the only way to get Hass.io to fully work, you need to upgrade, which I can do, but when I try to start anything I get my error. I’m going to see if I can learn to start from the command line somehow.

Just remember that Docker version update will not make your system healthy and supported. Some other things are missing too…

just ordered stuff for home assistant blue. Bye bye pesky useless syno :smiley:

1 Like

Are you soldering your HA Blue? What parts did you order?

A bit offtopic, skip to the end where it turns on-topic :wink:

@BeardedConti be careful. I ran into some issues on my Xpenology box.The issue is described here: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/3/post/137610

I am not sure it is related to the latest security patch…or related to the unhealthy status.

Situation:
My NAS was providing email warnings running low on disk space. I tried to log in via the webinterface but an error message was telling me not to be able to log on, due to low diskspace. I did not have SSH enabled, so I had to look at the systempartitions via a Ubuntu usb, and was able to delete the DB file mentioned on the syno forum. After a reboot my Nas came back online and I was able to access it.

It could be related to the update OR:

On-topic:
I wonder if the “unhealthy status” and/or the “not supported messages” in HA supervisor have something to do with it, running this package on Syno now? By the way, I moved my HA production environtment to proxmox now and I love how easy it is to create dev,stage,product VM’s now with snapshot features.

As I am not an expert in Docker and stuff… so not sure if I understood everything correctly. So the main problem is, that the docker version on DSM is out of date, right? And not even DSM 7 (which is currently in beta) does solve the problem?
So basically… all we Synology-Docker users are screwed?
I liked the idea of having only one always on device, that my data is secured on RAID-ed drives and so on and so forth.
Is there any other solution running the whole thing on my Synology NAS? A VM? But I guess that would be inefficient performance wise?
Or what is the suggested solution for us?

1 Like

I speak in French if someone can translate this in English.

Malgré avoir créé le fichier jobs.json dans le bon dossier, impossible de faire une mise à jour ou l’ajout d’un addon sur Home Assistant. En regardant de plus près les autorisations du fichier créé depuis mon accès Web, je me suis aperçu qu’il n’avait pas les mêmes droits que les autres.

Du coup, je me suis loggué dans Putty avec mon compte Admin puis je suis passé en root. Ensuite j’ai créé le fichier et là Bingo ça fonctionne.

I submitted a ticket to Synology Support inquiring when they would update Docker package to at least version 19.03.0. They responded within a few hours that they didn’t know a timeline but to submit a feature request to:
https://www.synology.com/form/inquiry/feature

Not sure if would help if more us did that as well.

2 Likes

I also had all sorts of problems with docker on dsm. Also the docker page of the dsm webview loaded very slowly. I completely switched to a virtual machine with HassOs because it is the way of choice.

Hi all,
Anyone upgraded to Version: 6.2.3-25426 Update 3?
I know 7 is a no go. anything in update 3 cause an issue?

thanks

No issue with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 here. DS916+.

Same for me : DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 on a DS218+. Works well.

1 Like

thanks all updated and home assistant is also all up to date.
thanks to all for the hot fix for the supervisor as well. I’ll be using this package for as long as i can.

1 Like

What speaks against using the original HA VM on a Synology? I mean, restarting the HA containers always costs me between 1-2 minutes. This should be way faster in a VM, as far as I heard. Memory consumption should be slightly higher and rebooting the VM always takes like 15 minutes or so, which is pretty bad. But I restart my HA itself way more often, so this should be okay.

I’ve created a first version of a DSM7 package, however it still has some issues creating the docker containers.

FYI: Moving to DSM 7 is a bit more complicated then just targeting the new version. The package used to run as “root” so creating users, docker containers,… was easy, in the new version each package is running from it’s own user and that one doesn’t have much permissions. So yeah …

Will keep you guys posted, if I have a test version available.

UPDATE 9/01/2021: So far no luck, but for those who upgraded to DSM7.0 and really want it up and running you can do this:https://gist.github.com/fredrike/c3e26ad704a3670c919cd12155f7dc9b

Running a script without logs nor pressing ‘ctrl + c’ killing the process: nohup setsid sh startup_script.sh

The biggest downside is that you will have to do this each time your synology restarts

13 Likes

Not all Synology models support running VMs, if your model does I suggest that you go with vm as this package is an unsupported method of running HomeAssistant.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I just started with HA some weeks ago and the first tutorials showed how to set it up using addons for the Synology. This looked nice and worked pretty good, so I decided to stick to that solution until now. I was just interested in the advantages using the addon way - and yes, many Synologys do not support running VMs.

Hi
I don’t understand how to vote: I went to gitHub and put “the finger up” on your post but I don’t know if it’s what you’re waiting for…
I send too a ticket to synolgy by the assistance form from my Syno.