Home Assistant timing out/lost connection on VirtualBox

Hi, I setup a workstation on VirtualBox for HA. Everything is working fine, except I lose connection to HA after a few hours. When I look at the virtual machine, it shows it is still active and running, but I cannot re-establish the connection until I restart the virtual workstation. The PC is set to not sleep or turn off display ever. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Is there anything of note in the virtualbox log for the VM at the time when it’s non-responsive?

I have the same issue. Did anyone figure out what’s going on?

Try disabling then enabling the network of the VM.

Thanks for the reply.

Been trying to troubleshoot this for a couple of days now. I added a command I found on the HA Forums to assign a static IP and then tried to set up my router to use address reservation but my router never detected the VM on my network.
Then I could not get anything to work at all. No internet connection for core or supervisor.
I have just reloaded my VM snapshot to a previous stable setup and I’m starting again.
At least everything is working now and I figured out I have to restart supervisor every hour or so which is less than ideal.
I’ll keep scouring the forums for a fix.
I am tech savvy but have not programmed in many many many years so a bit of a noob here.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Not sure if anyone reached a solid solution. Buy what i tried is to turn off the Virtual Box automatic checks for updates. And for now it seems solid.

I had an hourly notification set up to let me know the system is still running. So I noticed that after every 24hours or so since start it stops working. And when I check on the system it shows there is a new update available. Haven’t updated it yet ( i believe when something works, dont update it. Because then you have to update everything involved and new versions sometimes clash with older things)…

My point is, i see it stops working around the time it checks for new updates.

Let me know if anyone found something else

1 Like

hello brother iam new to ha , its my 18 days of using ha and losing connection everyday, I always reset VM or turn it off and on , again to get back to ha, now I am going to try ur method. thanks for the tip mate. hope it will help me.

I have the same issue. It seems like virtualbox issue, as I installed also a vanilla linux on another virtual machine, and it lost its connection, too. I wonder if anyone ever succeeded running HA on virtualbox without losing its IP address…