Home Assistant update

Hello!

I’m running Home Assistant in official container. My current version is Core 2023.11.0, Frontend 20231030.1.
If I go to Settings - System - Update, it says “No updates available”, however the HA official web says that the current version is 2024.1.2. I tried to find the update instructions in documentation, but with no success…
What is the proper way to get the latest version?

That is indeed correct. Current version is 2014.2.1 : Releases · home-assistant/core (github.com)

Not sure what you mean with Home Assistant in official container… Are you running HAOS as dedicated install? If not, you might need to pull and update yourself.

If you are using HA container, are you pulling from ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant?

@jchh I’m pulling an image from docker hub homeassistant/home-assistant

If you’re using the Docker container, that update screen in settings will never do anything for you. It’s really only for folks using HAOS or a supervised install of HA.

How you update your Docker image depends a bit on how you created it and on what platform you are hosting the container, but regardless you’ll be doing the update from your Docker management screen, not inside HA. For instance, on my Synology NAS, I can just go to the list of images, see that the HA image has an update, click to update it, and then HA restarts and is updated.

The 2023.7 release mentioned that ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant was preferred over homeassistant/home-assistant:

The reason for mentioning this in this breaking change section is that we have seen usage of our internal, intermediate, platform build images. These images are not meant for use directly, and using the above listed images is strongly recommended.

As of this release, we no longer publish our intermediate platform images to DockerHub. This means that if you are using these images, you will no longer receive updates. Please use the above-listed images instead.

Regardless, are you using a compose file?

@pkscout Thanks, so update in case of containers means just redeploying a new image.
@jchh I’m using a container station on my qnap NAS.

The 2023.7 release mentioned that ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant was preferred over homeassistant/home-assistant :

Interesting… I was following the official documentation which says:

• Search image “homeassistant/home-assistant” with Docker Hub and click on “Install” Make attention to CPU architecture of your NAS. For ARM CPU types the correct image is “homeassistant/armhf-homeassistant”

Nevertheless, now I see I need to redeploy the latest image whatever it means for any specific case. Thanks, folks!

Agh, got it. So you should be able to update within container station then.