Home Assistant Won't Boot

Could it be a hardware failure on the ODROID?

Anything is possible really.
I think the Balena Etcher might be the culprit though, as mentioned earlier in the thread.
It does not play well together with malware scanner s, or rather malware scanner s do not play well with it.
The writing of the boot sectors and files is often detected as a false-positive, even by Microsoft own Defender.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting idea, I will disable them and try flashing again :crossed_fingers:t2:

Like I said: possibly due to Balena Etcher but I have no knowledge on this process/alternatives for an Odroid or why it goes wrong so often.

I tried Rufus got the same result

Tried turning off all anti virus and anything else running Uther than the basics, still got the same issue

Ok, that way you eliminated 1 thing.

Are 100% you sure you are using the right image for that system?
Have you tried to download it again?
Were you using that system before with HA?

Yep definitely using the image for ODROID N2, and HA was running on the set up before, I assumed it failed due to the SD card but I think given number of attempts at a new install now it could be other hardware.

Well Iā€™m lost at this a week now, bit of a different message this morning donā€™t know if this gives anyone any ideas.

It is strange that you get different errors with each attemptā€¦
You could try to install something else to see whether that works.

Did you conduct a search on this issue: installing odroid n2 fails

I have had a ā€œlook aroundā€ on Google but didnā€™t find anything with a solution, there are a few comments of other struggling with ODROID recently though one mentioned it worked with 12.3 which I tried without any results, going to try and older version of the image (pre 12.2) and see if that works

That picture points to failure in the file system and that file system is a clone of the actual one stored in RAM, so it can be either the SDcard or the RAM.

The fact that the error change can be due to your own actions, like interrupting long running actions with restarts/shutdowns, which can leave the file system in a inconsistent state.
The file system usually have technics to minimize such events, but several interruptions after each other will drastically increase the chances of such events becoming a reality.

The system isnā€™t touched/restarted/etc while running, as you can see in the last picture the last item is running for 10hrs. Also I assume the RAM will be cleared when the power is disconnected which I do after each failed attempt?

Faulty hardware could explain that behaviorā€¦
In that search I saw some mentions of bad eMMC module.

If itā€™s HW, I guess a faulty eMMC can be replaced, whereas RAM is soldered on board.

Yer I was leading to hardware issue as itā€™s more aligned to inconsistent errors.

No eMMc so could be RAM by the sounds of itā€¦

Thank you both Nick4 and WallyR for still bearing with me on this one!

The ram will be cleared at restart, but then HA will read in the overlay file system in ram again.

Installed home assistant on a new rig today and everything went fine. I used a N100 device so install method was different but it does appear it was a hardware failure on the ODROID.

Thank you again for the help.

the solution here is to type login, wait then banner( dunno why but it works)

1 Like

@JamesGH, please take the time to mark the solution as the answer, you do that by selecting the three dots under the post:

Then select the check box:

By doing so this can be useful to other users as well and prevents that someone else steps in and still tries to help you.