Home Assistant won't start on Synology DS115j NAS

Hi there!

I will get to the point directly.

Done everything as written on this link: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/synology/

But when sending the start command with PuTTY, I get the answer Starting Home Assistant, an then nothing happens. If I send Stop command I get “Home Assistant is not running”.

Attached screenshots of my files on the NAS, and the PuTTY window.

Any help appriciated.!

K%C3%A9pkiv%C3%A1g%C3%A1s|690x123

1 Like

can’t edit the post for some reason, here is the screenshot that’s missing:

tl;dr
downgrade your pip version to 9.0.1 with sudo python3 -m pip install pip==9.0.1

====

Same here with a DS218play

Had a look at the hass-daemon file and tried to run the command in the start section manually without piping the output into the log file.
After also appending the --debug flag i finally got an error message

leschekfm@DiskStation:~$ sudo -u homeassistant /bin/sh -c "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/python3 /volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/hass -v --config /volume1/homeassistant --pid-file /volume1/homeassistant/home-assistant.pid --daemon --debug"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/hass", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 368, in main
    exit_code = setup_and_run_hass(config_dir, args)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 247, in setup_and_run_hass
    from homeassistant import bootstrap
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 14, in <module>
    from homeassistant import (
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 120, in <module>
    from .setup import async_setup_component, async_process_deps_reqs
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 9, in <module>
    from homeassistant import requirements, core, loader, config as conf_util
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 7, in <module>
    import homeassistant.util.package as pkg_util
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/package.py", line 10, in <module>
    from pip.locations import running_under_virtualenv
ImportError: No module named 'pip.locations'

Apparently pip.locations has been removed with pip version 10 and therefore a more or less recent Diskstation installation is way beyond that (current is pip v18)

Edit:
The usage of pip.locations has been removed some time ago for home assistent in this commit
Sadly this commit included only in home assistent 0.65.0 which requires at least pyhon 3.5.3 according to the changelog which isn’t supported on diskstations atm.

As far as I see the only solution right now is to downgrade pip as mentioned in https://community.home-assistant.io/t/error-after-upgrade-importerror-no-module-named-pip-locations/50633/3 (seems that I can’t link to internal issues…)

Edit2:
Yes the downgrade made the process start properly

1 Like

i am using a DS215J NAS, so very similar to yours and i also have problem, the process start correctly after downgrading to pip 9.0.1 but i cannot access to the webpage. how did you solve this?

Hi! Finally I gave up trying with the nas, and used a Raspberry Pi 3 instead. Everything is working perfectly, so I suggest you (if possible), don’t install it on your nas, use a Raspberry instead.
Cheers

bad news for me… i will give a try as a virtual appliance:

• VMDK
    because i don’t know if i can do what i want with my smart life device, and i don’t want to spend money if i cannot have the result i want.
    i simply want to get a notification when my plug goes over some W consumption and then turn under another value to know if my washer have finished working

Hi. There’s an updated python3 (3.5.6, 3.6.8 in-the-works) release noted in Python >=3.5.3 on Synology … are you willing to try installing a newer python3, tell me how well it installs and/or runs the basic touch-test I use, and we can progress to HA from there?

I did the same and now home assistant dameon starts. However I am unable to access the front end using https://nad-ip-address:8123. I am trying this on my local network on a DS918+ on DSM 6.2.2.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks