Home Assistant Yellow - builtin ZigBee

And how it is now. Unfortunately the response was very weak. But is it better now, a little.

When looking at Silicon labs documents, it is surely configurable to use external antenna. But how it can be done in HA is beyond my skills.

[1/3] (iā€™m only allowed 2 links per post).

Disclaimer: iā€™m not an expert in zigbee, and all the following information is the result of half-day spent on digging in silabs and NabuCasa github resources.

So, thatā€™s right, J9 is indeed RF2G4_IO2, designed for the external antenna.
(official source - https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/data-sheets/mgm210p-datasheet.pdf, p33)

But enabling it is really not well documented to say the least.
Some information on silabs forums and KBA is quite outdated, and no longer applicable for the current SDK.
Eg. Silicon Labs Community
Antenna stub plugin is no longer there, all that has changed in a past few years.

[2/3]

However, it seems that the right place to configure it now is config/sl_rail_util_rf_path_config.h
Example:

And SL_RAIL_UTIL_RF_PATH_INT_RF_PATH_MODE is in fact being used for antennaConfig.defaultPath and RAIL_ConfigAntenna :

[3/3]

Iā€™ve manually followed the automated build process used in GitHub - NabuCasa/silabs-firmware-builder: Silicon Labs firmware builder (github actions) and indeed ANTENNA_0 is being configured (in config/sl_rail_util_rf_path_config.h) and used for MGM210PA32JIA
I managed to build the firmware, changing it to ANTENNA_1, but canā€™t try it out - my soldering skills are likely much worse than in software and iā€™m not immediately having any u.fl handy :grin:
By the way, has the J9 been connected to the ground before the soldering?
Anyway, having h/w modification already performed, i would definitely give it a try to updated firmware.

Essentially, I followed steps described in those 3 files:

• .github/workflows/build.yaml
  • .github/workflows/silabs-firmware-build.yaml
    for ā€œncp-uart-hw-yellowā€.

I could also share the binary, but wouldnā€™t recommend to trust it and build it yourself instead.
Please let me know if you need any detailed instructions.

It is not totally grounded. Iā€™m pretty sure, that there is some inductor/feeding thing to ground.
That software part is hard to me. Iā€™d like to test, but i need more detailed instructions. Very noob.

Iā€™ve forked the repo to at least make the build straightforward, you can see the diff here:

If you have any github login , you should be able to download the artifact (zip including gbl file) from the action page, direct link:
https://github.com/mrozentsvayg/silabs-firmware-builder/actions/runs/8025422656/artifacts/1271052054

Based on emberznet 7.4.0.0 (4.4.0 gecko sdk)

Very interested to see if that works, please report back or let me know if thereā€™s anything else to unblock it.
Whatā€™s you current firmware by the way? Iā€™ve upgraded from default 6.x to 7.3.1.0 (silabs_flasher add-on) couple days ago and it seems to be working a little better. A few end devices - couple of third reality water leak sensors and hue motion sensor kept going unavailable, holding better so far. Too soon to tell though.

Ouch, there is now a small problem. Iā€™m very old electrician from analog-era. I have no idea, what i should do? I can copy file, if i know to where, or edit file but how i locate correct one? Very noob, as i said. Yep, firmware version. Perhaps it can be found somewhereā€¦

No worries.
The current version could be found at the coordinatorā€™s device page.
In the Settings -> Devices & Services -> Zigbee Home Automation click on devices list and find the device. It should be named ā€œSilicon Labs EZSPā€.

In the meantime let me (try to) find the easiest way to flash the firmware ā€¦

1 Like

In the meantime let me (try to) find the easiest way to flash the firmware ā€¦

Hereā€™s a doc:

Elaborated steps:

• Install GitHub - hassio-addons/addon-ssh: Advanced SSH & Web Terminal - Home Assistant Community Add-ons , disable the protection mode and start it
  • Configure the add-on - ssh key or password, take a note the username
  • open web ui of the add-on and type pip install universal-silabs-flasher
  • from your computer copy the firmware to the addon file system, with smth like:
    scp ncp-uart-hw.gbl [email protected]:
    (assuming the username is default for the add-on, and the firmware file name is it is the github action artifact zip)
  • disable the Zigbee Home Automation integration
  • flashing command:
    $ universal-silabs-flasher --device /ttyAMA1 flash --allow-cross-flashing --firmware ncp-uart-hw.gbl
  • reenable the the Zigbee Home Automation integration, take note of the version for the coordinator (as described in the post above)
  • test!

I canā€™t find any for Silicon Labs. Only zigbee coordinator is listed. Its version is 6.10.3.0 build 297. I canā€™t go further from that wiev.

How I ever thank you enough, when you try to guide me thru this issue?

Wondering if you recently restarted the home assistant or just installed the 2024.3 update?
It also showed as ā€œZigbee Coordinatorā€ to me right after the update, then after several minutes it popped up back as ā€œSilicon Labs EZSPā€ in the list.

Itā€™s not an issue anyway, you could follow the steps to update the firmware as described in the post above.

1 Like

There was a core update few hours ago. After that i didnā€™t do separate reboot.
Have to focus to this tomorrow, now i have too many beers in my headā€¦

Are one of these suitable for that purpose?
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 17-47-41 Home Assistant

And this is also available in official add-onsā€¦
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 17-52-31 Home Assistant

That ā€œSilicon Labs EZSPā€ wonā€™t show. It is only mentioned properties of zigbee coordinator, but no version.

You need the ā€œAdvanced SSH & Web Terminalā€.
It would allow you to use python packages (pip) and provides access to the usb port (once the protection mode is disabled)

This is a good plugin, but it would upgrade the firmware to the only 7.3.1.0

it doesnā€™t support flashing custom files, only those inside the add-on

Could you please take a screenshot of the device page?

1 Like

Here.

Only mention of Silicon labs is in ā€œsignaturesā€ tab.

Ok. I will need the usb-port also? Transferring files or ? Sorry my stupidity, software things are never been my thing. Only programming language what i have learned, is Microchip assembler. Perhaps, when it is like turning switchesā€¦

Forwarding slowly. I registered into github and now i have that file.

Great, now just follow the steps in the post above:

and let me know if thereā€™s anything confusing

1 Like