Home assistant Z-wave / Zig-bee over VPN tunnels

Hello,

Just bought a new house and planning my home automation/surveilliance. I was wondering if im hosting home assistant in a datacenter with a vpn tunnel to my home how would i solve z-wave/zigbee stuff which needs to communicate with HA?

Could i just install a second HA on a Pi and link them together to send commands over IP?

Its going to be alot of stuff going into this project i would rather to have the home automation and all the VMs in the datacenter, cause i have redundancy and everything over there. Also easier to scale if you would need more cpu/ram/disk whatever.

Thanks in advance!

You think so now.

But look at the MINIMUM ping times you get between the data center and your home. Now double that. That’s THE ABSOLUTE BEST performance you will ever see out of a motion light. If it’s more than 50 ms. You will feel it.

I say so because your intended configuration knocks the legs out of one of HA’s biggest strengths. Local - and still. Runs wthout the Internet. Yours won’t.

I get the desire to have redundancy but redundancy at the sacrifice of major feature? Not sure I track.

MQTT in my opinion.

Have an MQTT broker at remote sites, talking in Z-Wave, Zigbee, WiFi, or whatever your fancy is, and have the MQTT broker talk to HA in the DC.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your reply, i have 3ms latency to the DC. So that should not be a issue. Also having a failover for the home internet to 5G and then i would get some higher latency i imagine. But i could live with that.

Thanks! This was just what i needed thanks info4hx4! :slight_smile: