Home / Away with one of HA's Components

I have a few unifi cameras and I’ve seen a few of these components that will detect faces or objects (facebox and YOLO).

Is it possible to have one of these components recognize my car?

I’ve seen a few discussions about OpenALPR - but that’s as much as i know about it:

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=OpenALPR

man I got hype when I seen that lol. that would be awesome! thank you.

I did the install and it works with the test using cli but after adding the HA config and restarting I am getting this error…not sure if you have played with this yet but thought Id ask…

2018-06-05 19:27:17 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [image_processing]: expected a dictionary @ data['source'][0]. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 168). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/image_processing/
2018-06-05 19:27:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 308, in _async_add_entity
    msg)

image_processing:
 - platform: openalpr_local
   region: us
   source: camera.cam2

it almost feels like image processing is looking to early. my cameras are unifi so maybe the component isnt loaded and that entity does not exist yet…not sure if you can delay that start or not

I haven’t played with it at all, sorry.

What are you trying to achieve?
If it has something to do with automatically opening a garage door when the car comes home or something similar, I recently came cross this video:

I had home/away working solid for awhile. to the point I didnt have to ever check. I am using the byasin binary sensor with unifi wap, happy bubbles with a tracker i always have on me and i keep a tile in my car, and tasker to shoot an api call when i left/arrived. I recently setup nginx and it has killed my api getting through and havent really figured that out. I like the idea of reading my plate and add that to the byasin sensor. Also being able to read guests plates and create automations based on who is over would be pretty sweet

Sounds like you’ve got your work cut out here - sorry I can’t help you any further :frowning:

lol, no worries thanks for pointing me to that tool!