Home inventory

Hey all,

I am going to be building a component to create a home inventory. I want to get some ideas and feedback before I begin as I am not 100% sure what things it should contain.

I looked at the current components and the only thing that was close was “shopping list”. This is good but in my mind, it is only good for when you are running low/need something. In an ideal world, the new component would auto magically add low inventory items to this.

So for my idea. I was thinking the component would have several fields.

Item | Category | Location | Quantity | Minimum Quantity

Item would be free text, maybe it would go into a dictionary for known items.

Category would be a drop-down menu that has default items, but can be customized in some admin either yaml or gui editor.

Location would be where the item belongs in the house.

Quantity is how much of said item.

Minimum Quantity would be the point it should be added to the shopping list.

I am unsure with category and location, as i don’t think these would be granular enough. Perhaps one of you have some suggestions on how this component could work.

If you were to use something like this, how would you like it to function so that it would meet your needs?

Mods: if this belongs in a different category, you can either move it or I can recreate it in the appropriate category.

1 Like

So thinking about it, location may not be the best. But we still may need a sub category or 2. Not sure what this would be.

Example

Toilet Paper | personal care | bathroom | 6 | 4

Ant-Man | media | Blu-ray | 1 | 0

The last one, quantities and location do not make sense. Or perhaps “media” is the location and the category is Blu-ray?

So perhaps, one would select the category then from there it gives options on what to input.

Am I over thinking this, or should there be different components for general types. For instance:
Book library
Media library
Home Inventory.

Are you familiar with Grocy?

Would be great if HA had native integration.

1 Like

I was not familiar with it. It looks interesting though. I like that it can show price history.

A cool feature could be something like stocks, when price fall below X and when quantity is below Y purchase Z.

This is great info for at least the “kitchen” portion. Perhaps I could integrate with that to combine the best of both worlds!

Edit: I just saw that there were other things in the menu. Ok I really like this app :blush:. I think there are a few things missing like regular household items, and media/books. But again books/media could be a separate component.

It seems to me there are 2 types of inventory.

1. consumables - things you will use over time eg toilet paper, tinned tomatoes.
  2. assets - things you have but they will not be consumed over time eg ant man Blu ray, a book. They may be loaned out or retired, but are not consumed.
1 Like

I like how you put that.

So maybe 2 comments would make sense. An assets inventory and a consumables inventory. Where the latter could integrate with shopping list when things get low.

just registered to say that my anti-virus detected a trojan in the desktop version of grocy.

1 Like

Raise an issue on github? I’ve never used Windows and am not familiar with anti-virus software, but I’m going to guess it doesn’t like that it’s running a webserver. The source is here https://github.com/grocy/grocy-desktop

1 Like

Yep exactly how Grocy works. I haven’t fully committed to using it yet (if you have a barcode scanner it’s fairly painless to check things in when you bring groceries home) but it is a really interesting project. The developer seems to be pretty active developing it and responds to feature requests.

I saw he recently finalized the API so I guess I need to take another look.

1 Like

Here is interesting app LINK

Here is 10 best self hosted apps for inventory, storage room. LINK

How do you integrate these in HA ?