Home.weather showing "F" but numbers in celsius

During the initial login/setup when it asked for unit_system, time zone, and elevation I specifically remember it having “feet” next to elevation so I’m guessing that isn’t it.

6000 feet? You must be in Colorado. :sunglasses:. I’m in Idaho at 4000 feet.

I am having this same issue. I read through this entire thread and if there was a resolution, it’s not jumping out at me. (I’m in CO at ~4700 ft) Did anyone come up with a solution?

Home assistant, for some reason, by default uses the Norwegian weather service to set weather.home when you first set it up. Configure your own weather source instead.

Try dark sky or since you are in the us NWS.

1 Like

I’m switched to DarkSky for weather because of this. It could be why mine fixed itself without my realizing? Somewhere it set a “global” weather flag for DarkSky?

1 Like

Okay, guys. I’m really stupid here (learning)! I’ve read docs, etc. and can’t figure out how to set DarkSky, etc. as my weather server. :man_facepalming:

Add a new weather platform, type darksky:

weather:
  - platform: darksky
    api_key: !secret darksky_key
    mode: daily
    latitude: !secret latitude
    longitude: !secret longitude

You’ll need to create a DarkSky account.

I made a PR to fix the issue with the met integration, the one that is configured by default, using the elevation in feet as meters. This should fix the issue, but YMMV with accuracy still.

I’m seeing wildly wrong temps as well with default met.no integration. Now that Darksky is dead that’s not really a valid fix anymore. Looking at the other responses here i’m really wondering if this isn’t an elevation issue (im in abq). I don’t think its met.no itself because if I look the temps on yr.no which is also backed by met.no and they are much more accurate.

I figured out what happened. See here. It is an elevation issue that was fixed but then a different change made it incorrect again.

Wow. Tracing back the issues - this is quite a web of going back and forth. It seems there has been no central decisions on managing these settings. Leave it to America to threw a wrench into everything! :smiley: :laughing:

Ha tell me about it, this is the 2nd imperial bug I’ve hit in the last couple of days. Its almost like most people don’t use freedom units.

Just put ºC as unit_of_measurement in the customize section for the temperature that has the wrong value. Home assistant will see that it has ºC as units and convert it to your system units (ºF).

Does this work for forecasts in a weather platform like the default met integration upon onboarding?

Even if it does work, the forecast isn’t in Celsius, the elevation is incorrect, which is used in the met integration. This can cause the temperature to be off by so much as to appear to be in Celsius.

I’m sure that may be the case now but the original thread issue just had bad units based on the picture comparing darksky to the built in

22.6 * 9/5 + 32 = 72.68 ~ 73

The weather platforms automatically convert temperature. I have inside information that the original poster fixed the elevation and it fixed the problem :wink:

Ah yes, so that means he was lying here then?

No, it means it was fixed and I didn’t see or notice it because I was using DarkSky (and not seeing HA’s weather). It was broken, and still “slightly” broken (e.g. on the UI showing meters instead of feet).

I think this was uncalled for. We shouldn’t accuse others of lying. Or you were being sarcastic to stick it to me. Either way, it isn’t a very welcoming environment.

right back at ya :wink: