Homeassistant fails to start

I’ve updated homeassistant to the newest version and all was working fine (I had run the configuration checker beforehand and it too found no issues).

Later I rebooted (for a different reason) and homeassistant was not starting. Even the docker containers were missing. I reinstalled following the instructions at https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/ for Ubuntu / Intel NUC (my setup). It downloaded the docker images but never got beyond INFO:homeassistant.core:Timer:starting. Per the following error message it appears to be stuck in an infinite restart loop. Writes nothing to homeassistant.log.

How do I diagnose this issue? The error messages are a bit terse …

Many thanks for help!

$ systemctl status hassio-supervisor.service 

● hassio-supervisor.service - Hass.io supervisor

Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hassio-supervisor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-07-31 01:14:36 UTC; 27ms ago

Process: 29395 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hassio-supervisor **(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**

Process: 29374 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/docker stop hassio_supervisor **(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**

Main PID: 29395 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I renamed /usr/share/hassio to /usr/share/hassio.bak and then the fresh install worked.

Now the configuration is in /root/snap/docker/common/hassio. Is this the new “default” location?

I’ve got the system sort of working again after reinstalling, except that half the addons no longer work, apparently because of an incorrect docker on ubuntu.

Not sure why this happened, possibly since I upgraded all upgradeable packages on Ubuntu and then it used (this is just a guess) the wrong docker image. I reinstalled docker ce from the docker website, no help.

I need to find a reliable way to upgrade hassio. It’s great to have all the (new) features, but then I start depending on the features and downtime because e.g. of upgrades is not acceptable. Neat technology, but too brittle.

Same problem on FreeNAS iocage jail.

Will try the reinstallation. Thanks.