HomeAssistant on Unraid with external Grafana and InfluxDB

I’d like to expand HomeAssistant with better graphs, by using Grafana (in combination with InfluxDB). My Home Assistant is running as a VM on my Unraid server. I’m used to running everything as its own (micro) service, everything in its own docker. For example Tautulli, Netdata, Plex, are all running as a docker container. However, if I lookup tutorials on the internet, I see everyone adding InfluxDB and Grafana directly onto the HAOS vm/machine. This got me thinking whether running InfluxDB and Grafana outside of HAOS would be a good choice or not.

Pro’s of running them on the host;

• More resources available (all cpu cores, all memory, faster IO (as it can directly talk to the disk))
  • Data remains available even if my VM would for some reason crash and fail to start again
  • Newer Grafana/InfluxDB versions probably faster available
  • VM disk can remain small, even if I’d retain data in InfluxDB forever

Pro’s of running them on the home assistant vm;

• Everything related to home assistant in 1 package (vm)
  • If an update to home assistant is available, I could snapshot the whole VM, and in case of any problems restore the snapshot in one go

I’m new to Home Assistant, am I overseeing some things that would make running these services as dockers outside of HAOS a bad idea?

I run both of them outside of Home Assistamt OS just fine, no issues.

Burningstone, do you use the HA integration? I cannot figure out how to get the current HA-supervised instance to talk to my external influxdb server (it is on the same LAN). How are you doing it?

Yes I do, see here:

1 Like

Thanks, that did it for me too.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but it seems to be the closest I can get, though following some of the instructions didn’t help.

NEWBIE ALERT.

I have installed influxdb 2_2.7.4 on an old Windows Surface 3 running Linux Mint. I have also installed mariadb on the same machine and this is running very well.

I have installed grafana on the HA x64 box running HAOS using the HA add-on capability.

I cannot get grafana to talk to influxdb.

I can login to influxdb from both the machine running influxdb and another machine on the same network.

I know that the HA influxdb configuration (below) is correct because I can inspect the influxdb data from a remote machine successfully by logging in as above.

influxdb:
  api_version: 2
  ssl: false
  host: 192.168.xx.yy
  port: 8086
  token: !secret influxdb_api_token
  organization: !secret influxdb_organizationid
  bucket: HA
  precision: s
  max_retries: 3
  tags:
    source: HA
  tags_attributes:
    - friendly_name
  default_measurement: units
  exclude:
    entities:
      - zone.home
    domains:
      - persistent_notification
      - person
  include:
    domains:
      - sensor

Within grafana I am using the following configuration. I have checked the redacted urls several times, and they are correct.

But on clicking the Save & test button I get the following error:
InfluxDB returned error: error reading influxDB

This is the configuration of grafana in HA:

I know I am doing something incorrectly, but I am neither skilled or experienced enough to know what I need to change. So all help is greatly appreciated.

@Burningstone & @txNgineer sorry for prodding you directly, but I am desperate.