HomeAssistant (or HASSIO?) on a Synology (2nd floor), but all sensors (Z-wave, slimme meter, etc) attached to a RPi3 which is located on the first floor

Hello !
I have tested HomeAssistant on a RPi3 (located on 1st floor of our house, in the utillity-cupboard = meterkast): nice but after installing Node-Red, database, graphics and more nice things the system is DEAD-Slow and the HA can’t read the sensors fast enough…

I have a nice fast Synology server (located at the 2nd floor of our house), so I want to run HomeAssistant (or HASSIO?) on this server. But all sensors (Z-wave, slimme meter, etc) are attached to the RPi3 on the first floor,

So, my questions:

1. I have installed HomeAssistant on the Synology, using this: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/docker/

But after installation, I don’t see the panel item HASSIO ?
How can I add this ?

1. Or must I install the software in another way to get also the panel item HASSIO?

2. How can I use the RPi3 with all the USB-devices and serial device (mysensors) attached together with the Home Assistant setup on the Synology ?

Any help would be great !

I 'm not sure what variant of HA that script installs.
Try this one. Its the default way under a generic docker install.

Hope that’s of some help.

If you want hassio you have to install hassio. You are running a home assistant docker which means you have home assistant only and not hassio.

It runs the home assistant docker, per the documentation, and doesn’t even run a script or install anything…

Except he’s on a Synology…

Never work on a Synology devise. I thought it has Docker capabilities. Oh well.

It does have docker, but it’s not a general purpose distribution. Running the hassio script will fail in a Synology.

1 Like

I have found the answers and more already:

My experiences til today:

1. Hassio.io works great on a Raspberry Pi3, but don’t add influxdb, Grafana and Glances or other addons: the Raspberry is not fast enough and it will stop running almost: dead slow…

2. So, beside the hassio setup on the Raspberry Pi3 (where I have connected the ‘smart meter’, I have a master hassio setup running on a Xpenology server (Synology software on a home build server) which I have installed with the hassio-Synology plugin (see above). On this server I have the remote-setup in the configuration file to connect to the Raspberry (slave): data of the smart meter and more is available in this master HA-server :wink:
    On this master HA-server: influxdb, Grafana, Glances and more, works great!
    BUT: don’t see the connected z-wave usb stick in the hassio-hardware details, only the usb-ports but no detection of the usb-devices ;-(

(for your info: my Xpenology server has this mainboard: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2750D4I#Specifications)

Ok, what’s next?
To be honest, I am not sure I want to use my mainserver for the HA-master: it’s real power but I use it for my private things (data storage and more), and I think it’s better to have Domotics installed seperated on a different device such as a NUC or whatever.
About the NUC: it must be fast, but a lot of them has a powerfull graphicschip inside making the price much higher, and you don’t need the graphics card at all… So, which NUC would be the best to buy ?

I have a Apple TV4 device, maybe I should that has master domotics (HomeKit), easy to expand it with HA-sensors… Will test this also, but I like HA a lot and the HA-panel can be custom made to get a nice looking Domotics overview…

So: what are your experiences and hardware-setups ?

Regards.

:wink: askmurphy