HomeBridge "Please wait while this integration is being setup"

Yea, I agree with aldiy’s last post. You probably don’t need a separate homebridge host. Have you tried running homebridge within HA?

I think its you mr moto2000 that suggested not to use a separate host in your first reply .

For me , its good to have him test what he wanted to do first because i think his hardware
is not utilized and for unix / linux guys that is a sin

He is also very good technically and I am sure he will be able to do it on VM if he wanted to
but today he is in the forum jail because its his first day .

Cheers

I was just saying that I agree with this…

Yes I know and I was giving you the credit for the solution .
I think you misunderstood what I meant , I dnt mean anything bad .
cheers

1 Like

Oh my mistake, I did misunderstand! haha :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Homebridge within HA instead, Just remember to disable the safety mode on portainer. you will get a warning but thats fine.

@Tejasjpatel That’s actually the tutorial I was following the first go around. What I have verified now is that a VM (Portainer as the hypervisor) just does not work with the HomeBridge Docker install. It works two other ways of messing with it.

Today, I actually integrated Alexa to the HA install and that was a blast! (no, seriously, it was unique and many steps. Working the first time was a rush.)

I’ve been in development for 15-ish years and only about 5-6 months in with the entire home automation piece. It’s a whole new world and now my YouTube algorithm is definitely thrown off. I’ve watched entirely too many automation videos in the past two days.

Lastly - now that I’m out of jail, are there any other limits I should be worried about?

2 Likes

this method worked for me i have my nest products intergrated via home kit, did you remember to disable the saftey on portainer when you did this, as i had problems and couldn’t move forward till i realized it.

If i was you I would try again, its so worth it. i think i did it like 4 times before i i got it right.

As for the future, the beginning is always the hardest as you dont have the knowledge, keep at it, read, watch, and code.

Disable safety on Portainer? Either I missed this step or I’m not following correctly.

yes correct, you must have missed this step.

I missed this step and i couldn’t get it to work until this was done it would just load forever. Let me know how you get on.

Ahh, I see why I didn’t quite follow. I was not running Portainer from the add-on on the OS. I already had Portainer running on another host. Essentially I had a VM (call it 10.1.1.1) running on a physical host. Then I had Portainer running as a container on another host (call it 10.1.1.2). They could communicate with each other, but Portainer was not installed as an add-on within the HA install.

@Tejasjpatel I actually just found that Portainer has been removed from the repository (*believe it was due to code conflicts which caused Portainer not to start) as an add-on.

So, back to the way I had it installed, which appeared to work, just never setup.

FYI: I have been successful in running both HA and HB within two different containers (Docker) and gave up on the VM method. However, keeping the instance alive and will continue to play with it to see if I can get it to work.

There are actually custom repositories that you can add that have working versions of portainer.

Here’s an example:

But as we mentioned before, it’s very easy to run it within home assistant without a separate container. It’s just not called homebridge, it’s called ‘HomeKit’. If you go to your integrations page (devices & services), then select “add integration”.

1 Like

Change the mDNS advertiser in Homebridge to Caio if you haven’t

3 Likes

I have a Proxmox setup similar to @dmkjr, except I run HA Supervised (so Dockerized). I found that it indeed does have to be running on the same host, for whatever reason.

I tried locally installing the HB addon earlier, but it errored-out and refused to install.

Thanks @zimmra - this fixed my issue. Running HomeAssitant & Homebridge on unraid and was getting the “Please wait while…”

1 Like

@tmeuze @dmkjr I just finished fighting with this and the culprit ended up being my firewall rules. I had my HA host and Homebridge on the same VLAN so I figured they would be able to talk to each other just fine since that traffic shouldn’t theoretically hit the router. Well, as it turns out, the packets still get routed through my router (Unifi) and I have a rule to prohibit VLANs from initiating traffic to each other. As soon as I amended the firewall rules to allow this type of traffic everything started working great - I have Hassio running in a VM and Homebridge in an LXC container both on Proxmox. Different IPs, same subnet, works great. Try it out!

Maybe if there is a Proxmox/networking expert here they can tell me how to get two VMs on the same VLAN to talk to each other without packets hitting the router at all, but that is out of scope for this topic.

Change to Caio worked for me. Homebridge set up on a Synology NAS docker container.

1 Like

this saved me!! I could not get Homebridge to connect as a Home Assistant integration until I stumbled upon this. Changed to Ciao and it connected right away with pairing code. Thank you thank you thank you!! More details on how: mDNS Options · homebridge/homebridge Wiki · GitHub