HomeKit Controller and HomeBridge - weird device detection bug?

Hi! I’m trying to integrate my AC through HomeBridge, using HomeKit Controller to control it from Hass. It looks like it works, however I have 2 ACs and this is how they get detected:

So it looks like it takes second AC accessory as a name for the accessory but then uses first one as entity… Am I missing something or is that a bug?

For anyone finding this forum thread, @Michael_Davydov raised a GitHub issue here.

Unfortunately this is a problem/limitation with the HomeBridge plugin. It doesn’t set the Serial Number characteristic like a real certified HomeKit device would, it instead sets it to Undefined. Home Assistant requires integrations using the new API’s like the entity and device registry to use unique identifiers that don’t change. For this homekit_controller uses the serial number, which per the official spec is a required field. Unfortunately while the spec can mandate that it is present it can’t force homebrew code to set it to something useful, so homekit_controller can’t actually tell them apart in this case.

(BTW, before someone brings up iOS, while the spec requires this field, the official client does tolerate it’s absence its true, but iOS doesn’t need a long term stable identifier - if you repair a accessory in the official client you often have to re-do all your automations, scenes, and customisations involving that accessory).

1 Like

Yup, I made a PR on the plugin in question, hopefully it will be added one day.

Unfortunately I’m not sure how to run this plugin on Docker installed HomeBridge from source