Homekit Infused 5 (HKI) v2023.1.3

Well the good news is that is is finally done in such a way that for the time being no major changes will come.

That might change whenever HA changes but we’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it. For now, Enjoy!

still using the old version with all declutering templates :slight_smile:
i downloaded your new version yesterday, damn, totally different
allthough i still like manually adding stuff on each view, since i modified amost every view in your setup based on my entities … i think its now more difficult… need to dive in your code to understand

Well, you still can :rofl:. It is just the base of it is easier to use for non-experienced users. You can still edit any view you want just the way you were used to! As that will still work.

The only difference is, if you don’t want to edit the views yourself (or just want to edit what I have created) you can now use the global_config files to do that.

Example given:
If you wanted to change the first button icon and name on the frontpage, you can simply open up the global_config file for the frontpage, uncomment the things you want to edit (for example an icon) and fill in the icon there.

You can still hardcode it into the view like before though! However using the global_config will make sure you don’t have to worry about changed code on a view as the global_config files will remain after an update.

However I will still create update guides just like you were used to, but now you can see which files are updated in my update branch on the repo (instead of grinding through a large update guide).

Though there is some good news regarding updates. Most known bugs have been squashed which means I won’t need to update views that often (if they need to be updated at all). All new views will come as addons which contains out of a view and a global_config file. This makes it possible for users to install any view layout they want (as long as they are on my repo) and also gives the opportunity for users to share their views and have their views featured on my repo as an addon!

Edit: though yes, there is no update path from pre 1.0 versions to any version post 1.x. As you saw it is completely different codewise. If you want to use the new version I will suggest doing a clean install and slowly merge the code you had with the new one! (You can still use decluttering-cards, though you will have to change the folder as it might throw errors when having decluttering templates and lovelace_gen templates in the same folder.

Yeah I had trouble grasping what was going on at first compared to the old one, but once you get it it’s even easier… definitely worth it, and also much faster going from page to page and what not.

That is great to hear (and that was ultimately the goal). The alpha and beta versions were a lot less “fool” proof as removing lines or commenting lines would break everything on that view.

Next step is releasing addons which I will post soon (and as a bonus I will “try” to add the following popup for fans and covers which will hopefully be in next weeks release)

1 Like

Hello i’m getting error’s on al the cards

Custom element doesn’t exist: button-card.
type: ‘custom:button-card’

I followed the manual on your site but it’s not working for me…

Can you help me?

Seems like you are missing button-card.
Make sure you install custom:button-card (can be found on HACS. Also make sure you have it in your resources (it should be there already if you copied the entire lovelace folder).

If you have just copied all the plugins from my repo make sure you have installed HACS and set it up properly.

You are not required to install all the plugins manually if you don’t want to (copying them from my repo will work) However you must have HACS installed for that to work.

That would be awesome as I was trying to use both of those but not having much luck getting them to work in the hki setup … at least I think that may be what’s “breaking” them

Hey @jimz011, kudos for this awesome setup! I love it!
Q: can I reconfigure the rooms? I’d like to change the name of some and add some more. Can you please point me to the appropriate files to be edited?
Thank you!

1 Like

Ofcourse, I figured that these questions would follow, so I have created a guide on how to do that within the documentation. I might revise groups in the future to make them a bit easier, but for now you can simply do this:

https://jimz011.github.io/homeassistant/tips.html

Ah, great! Thanks! I haven’t got to the tips section yet :wink:

1 Like

Np, if you still have questions don’t hesitate to ask them. I always say, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad you like it !

For anyone who may be wondering, I found a way to enable/disable this theme for setup/testing purposes and wanted to share because I almost asked.

On my dev HA, I followed all the setup steps and got this theme installed and everything worked great, except half of my entities and devices aren’t in my dev setup, so I wanted to test on my prod but still be able to go back to my current lovelace.

After you have this theme and all of the prerequisites installed don’t add the configuration line: “Lovelace: mode: yaml” if you want KEEP your old UI.

When you want to switch to this theme for testing, make sure you go to your raw UI editor and save all of the text somewhere safe(FIRST!!), then just add that Lovelace line above(I used comments to make it easy). You will have to reboot, but it works. Then to go back, comment that Lovelace line and save, reboot, and then go to your UI editor and paste in the code you saved.

It’s clunky, but I can’t dedicate several hours of configuring a theme and still keep the wife happy, so now I can work on it, switch back to the old, and come back to it later.

1 Like

OK, so far only one more Q. : is regarding the climate settings. So I have this one thermostat ( generic one, using a switch and a temp. sensor ). In home page, the temperature of the sensor is correctly displayed on the Climate button. When I go into the climate view however, the temperature becomes “null” . If I hit the thermostat button, the state of it toggles, but the heating system ( aka the switch ) is not turned on. Also, if I hit the “Heat / All” preset button, I get the error as visible in the attached screenshot.
Any advise?

Oh, nevermind about the temp. value… it was a bad sensor name in config. Sorry :blush:
The thermostat toggle is now working only issue standing is the Heat / All preset.

As a curiosity: how do you manage the laundry and/or the dish washing machine? A simple switch for sure won’t do it, as you need to set the programs, right?

I Think it sonoff Pow or Pow2, I use some.

OK, but that would only turn the appliance ON or OFF, no maneuverability over the programs.

The sonoff POW/POW2 has a switch and power/voltage meter sensors, so you can turn it on/off as normal switch, besides giving you information about power consumption.

But that doesn’t help in controlling it with HASS, does it?

What do you want to control ? if you have the sensors, then you can create the automation that will control them, or notify you, or whatever you need, some people they use all the sonoff POW to measure their own power consumption, so they connect the whole house and they know how much every device consumes. All depends on what you want to do with sensors.