HomeKit Not Responding Periodically

Hey guys,

About once per day, roughly the same time my HomeKit Integration stops working and all my devices stop responding. The only way to get everything back is to restart Home Assistant.

I still have control from Home Assistant when this happens.

Nothing shows up in the logs.

Running:

arch x86_64
chassis vm
dev false
docker true
docker_version 19.03.11
hassio true
host_os HassOS 4.13
installation_type Home Assistant OS
os_name Linux
os_version 5.4.63
python_version 3.8.5
supervisor 247

Any ideas?

I was running into the same problem, only to find out that it was caused by recorder. I found that using a MySql server running on another computer eliminated this entirely.

Hey mate.

Sorry but I’m a bit of a noob with this stuff. Would you be able to elaborate a little more?

Cheers

Hass.io keeps track of all devices and states in what is known as recorder. This, for some reason, was overloading the system. If you have a second computer, you can set up a MySql server on that that system and set up you Hass.io installation to use that for the recorder. If you’re needed help setting those up, let me know what you have available to use for a second computer (even an old computer running linux will more than suffice). It might also be possible to run a linux VM as a second computer, but I’m unsure as to whether or not that will alleviate the system drain.

How can I check if that is happening to me?

If you look at the logs (Supervisor -> System), you will notice a lot of errors in regards to the recorder and on the same screen will likely notice a VERY high CPU usage. I have since re-installed using the 64-bit version for the RPI and have noticed that the issue, which occured with the 32-bit version, seems to be eliminated even without the need for an external SQL server.

1 Like