Homematic IP but with one?

I want to use the Homematic IP Passage Sensors with Home Assistant so I need to buy the Homematic IP central station. But the is a central station and an access point. HA doc says it needs cloud access. Do both have cloud access? I could only find cloud information for the access point. Is buying the Homematic central good enough?

So which one do I need to buy?

You can choose between the HomeMatic IP Access Point and the CCU3 (the old CCU2 works too).

If you use the CCU2/3, then you have to use the homematic component. This solution works 100% offline. So it will keep working when you have no internet. It will probably also be a lot quicker to receive the movement-event because it does not depend on the cloud.

If you go with the IP AccessPoint you have to use the homematicip_cloud component. In contrast to the CCU2/3 this relies on cloud connectivity. So when the internet is down Home Assistant won’t receive any events. And with internet you’ll have a bit a latency simply because the cloud always is slow in coparison to a fully local setup.

I am biased to the local component though because I’m the developer of that. So the cloud-solution may have advantages I am not aware of.

1 Like

@danielperna84 Hi, is your answer still valid? Are the Homematic IP AP or CCU 2/3 required for the Homematic IP Passage Sensors to work with HA? I’m getting interested in these products also, I also have a Conbee II and a Aeotec Z-stick, I was hoping on getting these working without the need of another hub if possible.

Yes. HomeMatic uses its own protocol, which is not compatible to almost anything. The only almost open solution would be to use homegear with a compatible RF-device, which might be able to communicate with some other 433MHz devices in parallel. But Zigbee based solutions probably will never work because it’s an entirely different frequency range. And a completely different technology.