HomePod Mini as TTS devices

Currently I own two Google Home/Nest Mini speakers. I was considering migrating to HomePod Minis as primary speakers because of Handoff, Intercom and more tight integration with Apple devices.

I’ve been using my Google Homes as speakers for TTS announcements via Google Cast integration. Though, I doubt it’s possible to do the same with HomePods.

Does anybody of you own some HomePods? What are your impressions? Have you had a chance to integrate them with HA? Can you stream the same TTS phrase to two HomePods at the same time?

1 Like

I am using hass-atv-beta integration for my Apple TV. It doesn’t seem very stable in case of Apple TV, though in the docs it says that HomePods are supported.

It would be great if you reported any issues you have (including necessary logs) so that I can try to fix them. HomePod and Apple TV are similar in many ways and should function more or less the same.

The most annoying issue with Apple TV is that it doesn’t turn on/off when I press a power button in HA UI.

When I’ve been previously playing something, it will not play a TTS phrase, instead it will just continue playing the show I’ve been watching before.

I just bought a homepod mini today. Thats what i wanted to do. But unfortunately, i m stuck at integrating homepod mini into home assistant. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

So I managed to find a work around after notting getting the OwnTone method to work or even install on my Mac.

If you follow this method to create Siri talking and how to get HomePod to automate to play a sound file…

You can then customise it to do any announcements.

1 Like

This is an annoyance with how the frontend works IMHO. When a device is in standby, pushing “turn on” does not trigger a turn on so the device will remain in standby. I will have to think this over a bit.

TTS should hopefully work much better in the version I pushed earlier today, please give it a spin!

Either install the beta component and add it from there or wait for the next Home Assistant release, it will hopefully will make it before then (support will be out-of-the box in case it does, otherwise you will have to wait another release).

1 Like

Wow, awesome, sounds really exciting… thank you guys for the contribution and this great platform.

1 Like

Can confirm (at least as of February 22 release) it works out of the box. Pretty cool.

1 Like

Glad to see this to identify home pod minis now. In my case, I have 2 minis paired to an apple tv device which shows the content that is playing wether it is audio being streamed to the minis from an device or content being played on the apple tv. Ive added the ATV unit and 2 individual home pod minis (all discovered separately) and they all appear under the same Integration (albeit under the room name with different identifiers i.e. Lounge, Lounge (1) and Lounge (2) ) and all of them identify as Apple Home Pod minis, event the Apple TV. Is this expected ?

Also, whenever I go to choose media (either through the HA media option) or through the integration, a window pops up called ‘Apps’ that just shows a spinning indicator where nothing happens.

A final point, in an automation, when I attempt to use the new choose media option, for 2 of my devices [ lounge and lounge(1) it states that “Media player does not support browsing media.” for them but the 3rd device, lounge(2) , it does show the Pick Media button. I suspect it is because even though they all identify as Apple Homepod Minis, the device called Lounge(2) is actually my Apple TV unit.

Whats the best way to debug this and get any of the devices to be able to perform TTS? and for the TV units, to have the select media option to actually work instead of getting stuck on the popup apps screen from the UI? Any one else had any issues like this?

I have a similar issue getting TTS to work with my Apple TV. I reported it here:
No update on it so far…

Malcolm

Same issue here. Seems like something broke in 2022.3. I can’t use my HomePod with Media Player at all.

Same problem :sob:

Is anyone able to confirm if the Apple HomePod mini can be used as a media player for TTS with HA 2022.4? I’d like to get one of these rather than using Google devices as we are an Apple centric household. From reading here it looks like this was all working but it recently broke?

Would love to hear from anyone if this has now been resolved. Many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Verified :+1: tts (google_cloud_say) to work with HomePod mini and 2022.4.5 (HA container)

1 Like

awesome news. thanks!

do you know if there is any specific feature to play tts to all homepods at once? (like the intercom feature) or do i just need to physically send the notifications to multiple devices?

if i need to send to multiple devices, is there any neat tricks i should be aware of?

cheers!

Works with HomePod OG as well and NabuCasa TTS.

Just tested it with 2022.4.5 and updated to 2022.4.6… still works :wink:

And thanks for asking, since my last test it didn‘t work. So it‘s finally time to ditch the Echo dots =D

2 Likes

Could someone share their configuration for TTS to homepods please?

(or a link to where it’s explained?) I managed to get it working for echo dots after some cut and pasting, but I just don’t grok it.

They are auto discovered with this integration → Apple TV - Home Assistant

3 Likes