HomePod Mini Temperature/Humidity Sensor to HA

Latest news out today was Apple is going to implement the long dormant temperature and humidity sensor in the HomePod Mini, and is available now on the 16.3 beta.

And get a chance to test this out yet, and most importantly if it can be monitored in HA? I have mine in an outdoor enclosed environment and it would be great if I can tap into it.

5 Likes

It’s also included in the new HomePod second generation. Would be great if we could add the sensors to HA.

4 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing how to get these sensors into HA as well. I have 3 HomePod Minis and they are all now reporting temperature and humidity. It would be great to see that information in HA.

5 Likes

I also hope to be able to integrate these sensors into HA.

5 Likes

nothing there yet. :confused:

2 Likes

16.3 got released today; my HomePod updated this evening.

Siri will now give me the temperature (in the room with the pod in).
I’m off to find if I can see anything from HA…

If something has to be added to the integration it would be nice to know, please.

2 Likes

Would be nice if HA detected HomePods as such. All of mine were detected as an Apple TV.

4 Likes

Just got the 16.3 update and shiny new temp/humid sensors are in homekit now:) Any updates on how to get it into the Home Assistant?

2 Likes

Nothing has been officially exposed through the HomeKit extension as an entity for temp and humidity.

Although I am not sure if it’s Apple not sending it through API or if it’s HA Core component that can’t read it yet.

2 Likes

Changed feed to a Feature Request, please vote and maybe the right overlords will see and help us out!

2 Likes

pyatv seems like not really delivering a solution for getting those values yet.

2 Likes

I think aiohomekitctl can see those

Name: HomePodSensor 759750
Device ID (id): ----
Model Name (md): HomePod
Feature Flags (ff): FeatureFlags.SUPPORTS_SOFTWARE_AUTHENTICATION
Category (ci): Categories.SENSOR
Configuration number (c#): 1
State Number (s#): 8

Name: HomePodSensor 52117
Device ID (id): ----
Model Name (md): HomePod
Feature Flags (ff): FeatureFlags.SUPPORTS_SOFTWARE_AUTHENTICATION
Category (ci): Categories.SENSOR
Configuration number (c#): 1
State Number (s#): 1

But I don’t know enough about how the integrations work to add these.

4 Likes

IMO these devices shouldn’t be shown as Apple TV in HA, but I understand (mostly) why they are at the moment.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is the place for development discussion, but it’s worth noting that the HomePod sensor is somewhat exposed. You can find the information on the Discovery app for macOS. Here’s the info from mine (seems randomly generated after having set it up twice):

HomePodSensor 173000
  Kitchen.local.
  192.168.1.154:54166
  [fe80::471:abd2:655b:ff9c]:54166
  [fd**:****:****:405f:2:fdf8:9d*8:****]:54166
  c#=1
  ff=2
  id=A3:75:D4:F4:72:69
  md=HomePod
  pv=1.1
  s#=3
  sf=0
  ci=10
  sh=NJB00A==
5 Likes

That’s a good start! Not sure how valuable it is today being random though.

2 Likes

The values don’t seem to change over the course of a single device’s life. The values only seemed to change when I factory reset the homepod.

If anyone knows any tools that I should be using to try and do some deeper inspection, I’d be more than happy to help out.

1 Like

That looks similar to what I got with another python homekit module (don’t remember which I was using last night)

1 Like

Would it be possible to grab this data via the Matter integration?

1 Like

Cc @postlund, the code owner of the integration.

1 Like

It would be wonderful if that works! Are there any active development efforts for this where I can contribute/track it?

1 Like